Chopping Hair For A Good Cause
Beauty Fashion

Donating 13 Inches Of My Hair Was The Most Blissful Thing I Have Done

One of the best deeds I have ever done.

129

This happened last year on December 11th, 2017 . Since I was a little girl, I have always kept my hair long and never wanted to keep my hair short. Whenever my mom would bring up the topic of how my hair took so long to wash or how short hair is easy to maintain, I would never listen. However now that I look back to those memories I feel like two people really influenced me to do something I thought I would never do.

Three years ago, my aunt died due to breast cancer and she had always told me as a child that I have such pretty long hair. She told me to use this beautiful hair to help someone in need. After her death, I pondered on what she had told me over the past years about always being thoughtful for others. From that day, I was definitely sure that I wanted to do something that she would be proud of.

However it took me three years after her death to finally donate my hair to someone a cancer patient. A week before I decided to chop off my hair, I met this random lady at kroger while I was grocery shopping for my mom. She said to me, "Hey pretty girl, you have such gorgeous long hair! You should seriously donate your hair!" This lady told me that her child currently is suffering from cancer and someone helped her daughter by donating her hair for the child.

That's when it hit me. My hair is super long and I had always wanted to do something that would make that person blissful. I thanked her for her complement and told her that I hope her child gets well soon! I told my mom in the car that day about what happened.

Someone unknown made such a huge difference that made me realize that I have the opportunity to do something that others can not do! And plus it will be a good change. That December, I booked an appointment with a hair salonist. All the hair stylists were very excited and proud of me for doing such a great deed. They took a video of my hair being cut and a before and after picture.

Before:

And after:

Renu Shawla

During this time, my mom and I were looking at donation centers that needed hair for wigs to be made. I donated my hair to wigsforkids because they specifically make this wigs for the children that suffer from some kind of cancer. The requirement was 10 inches or more however I decided to donate a little extra by cutting off 13 inches!

The next day at school, all the kids at school including my friends were shocked how I chopped off that much hair and they even asked why. I told all those people the story I am sharing with you. Doing something as small as cutting your hair can make a huge impact for a children that is suffering. A few months after my donation, I get a letter from a child who recieved my hair and she wrote such a sweet letter about how thankful she was. I never realized how things like cutting your hair would make a difference in the world!