From Active Life to Post-Op Life

From Active Life to Post-Op Life

How I'm trying to survive being post surgery.

17
From Active Life to Post-Op Life

I am the kind of person that was constantly doing something, either dancing hours on end a week or working out. When it got to the point where I was in constant pain just from walking I knew something was up. Many months and doctor visits later, I was setting up a date for ankle surgery. The thought terrified me, I hate not being able to do things for myself let alone not being able to be active for god knew how long. 've been trying anything to keep myself busy and attempting to get some energy out.

Painting

I've always had a liking of painting and I figured this was the only thing I could think of to pass the time while I was laid up, of course after I wasn't completely exhausted anymore. I got quite a few paintings done, and with getting surgery before Christmas, it came in handy for Christmas gifts.

Crocheting

This was a newer hobby of mine but still just as interesting. I had multiple hours of laying around ahead of me and though my ankle was out of commission, my hands weren't. Plus I got to try new patterns out. My personal favorite, as well as everyone I knew, was scrunchies. They were time-consuming but came out very cute in the end.

Crunches

Once I was no longer in a cast and was semi-walking again, I started to do anything physical that I could do. Crunches are always my go to since that tends to be an important part of dancing, core strength.

Meditating

I started to slowly notice my mental health declining due to not being able to do what I love or even get out to do much of anything. I can't run, jump, or do anything too impacting to my ankles till May so I needed to help myself in some way. Meditating has been proving to help out a lot.

Amazing Friends and Family

I'm lucky enough to have some amazing people in my life to help keep me sane. My friends have been nothing but supportive and have kept me feeling like my normal self. My family have also been very supportive, though they were a bit babying in the beginning, but they've been very helpful with anything I needed. My boyfriend was there through the hard times, he was the one who helped me do my first "big" walk after I got off my crutches, he and his family were very helpful and patient when we went to pick out and cut down their family Christmas Tree, and he drove me around so I didn't have to constantly bother my family.