A Letter To My Odyssey Editor-In-Chief
Hobbies

A Letter To My Odyssey Editor-In-Chief

I realize this article is ironic.

26
A Letter To My Odyssey Editor-In-Chief

An Apology

First and foremost, an apology is in order. I apologize for not always having my articles on time. There are certain rules that are set to keep the online site running smoothly and fairly for everyone and failing to follow them is extremely disrespectful. I will take responsibility for the lack of respect I have shown and follow it up with a promise to do better. We have multiple chances to ask for extensions and even to get help with corrections and ideas. Those who make FGCU's Odyssey work and continue to strive alongside other talented writers.

Submissions

I could write about all the various excuses people give and or have. I could say I was busy with work, personal issues or simply forgetting the deadline. All valid excuses with the correct context of course. To me, it's sort of like working on a final essay last minute. I once asked the professor for an extension and their reply was simply: "Why didn't you start on it from the beginning? It probably wouldn't all be completed by now but at least a majority would be ready."

Because when you are given a due date for anything and don't begin then, every excuse is a terrible excuse.

Ideas

Ideas come and go to every artist. Every creative thinker stumbles upon a handful amount of ideas a day. I, perhaps others as well, have a terrible habit of writing some down. And even when I write the overall idea, I forget why I was so passionate about something. Many stories don't stick and then when we sit in front of the screen our minds try hard to remember a good story but go blank. A good way I found that helps me beat this habit is to write the main point and at last two other points to support it. Another way is to write the first two sentences of the story in mind.