9 Reasons Why You NEED To Travel

9 Reasons Why You NEED To Travel

Get out there!

9  Reasons Why You NEED To Travel
Levittown Public Library

One of the most inspiring sentences I have ever heard is, "the world is a book and if you don't travel, you only read one page." How many people just go through their lives only reading one or two pages? I've been very blessed in my short life to have traveled to many different countries spread across four continents. So today, I'm giving you a list of nine reasons to get out there and explore the world!

1. Experience other cultures

Every country has a unique culture and diverse group of people. We are so used to our own personal circle of friends and family and the culture we have. In order to really experience a culture it is important to walk around cities, towns, and villages of a foreign country, immersing yourself in conversations with the people there. Take an interest in learning about the places you visit and its history- this brings the experience to a whole new level. With so many different cultures, its incredible how much you can learn from the people around you.

2. Try different foods

This is a big one for me. If you have met me, you know I love food. But if you really know me well, you will know that I am very much a man of habit when it comes to my food. I get the same thing every single time when visiting a restaurant, whether it is at Denny's or Jack in the Box. I could go on and name each meal I specifically order for every restaurant that I've gone to more than a few times. Even though I get the same things all the time, it gets bland. It makes me want to try something different; however my "go to meal" is always there, so I never do. Different countries have a wide spectrum of different foods. Going throughout the world and discovering dozens of unique dishes that you've never had anything like before is quite the experience!

3. Do things you can't do at home

This is for the more adventurous types. There are hundreds of unique experiences you can have depending on where you go. Historical landmarks, parks, trails, unexplored or abandons territory, or incredible sights. These are all things that you can't experience from your couch. Get out there and find some of them! You will not regret it.

4. Stuff you can't get anywhere else!

There are so many things that you can't find here in America or on the internet. When visiting different countries, go out into the small cities and villages, or into the market places and shops-there are some truly incredible items. In my travels I've picked up some really cool merchandise. From the Grand Bizarre in Istanbul, to a ocean-side store way "down under" (G'day Mate!), to a shop in a tiny town out in the jungle of Thailand. I've seen (and bought) some amazing merchandise. Get out there and bring home your own piece of the world.

5. Builds character

Traveling is not always easy. Sometimes things don't go smoothly. Whether it be a delayed flight to bad directions or getting lost in a foreign city, there is no telling what might happen. But instead of freaking out or throwing a fit, use it as an opportunity to build up your qualities of patience and flexibility.

6. Strengthens friendships

Traveling with friends and family can be stressful. However, some of the best times I've ever had were being out on the road with close friends or family. The experiences we had, the things we did and the sights we saw, drew us closer together and strengthened our friendships. Traveling with someone or a group of people that you deeply care about is something I highly recommend.

7. Builds new friendships

Some of the people I consider family started as strangers. Traveling and learning about the world, while learning about a stranger is a power thing. Another big recommendation from me!

8. Gives you true perspective

Don't just travel to some big city and stay in some fancy hotel. Go to a third world country or visit the slums. Explore the poor places of the world, seeing firsthand the poverty. It really puts a perspective on how good we have it here in America. Even if you aren't rich in American standards, you have so much more that the poor people of the world. Sadly, it is way to easy to forget how fortunate and wealthy we really are. Go out into the dark and poor places and be reminded of how good you have it. It can help you be a more grateful, responsible, and compassionate person.

10. Memories that will last a lifetime.

Ah the memories. So many stories to be told and laughs to be shared. This is one of the most important reasons on the list. I am confident that I will have some of these friends that I've traveled with- for many years to come. The memories we have made and will continue to make are some of the greatest times of my life. So get out there, eat some crazy food, buy unique stuff and visit amazing places. Live your life to the fullest and fill your head with a lifetime of memories.