Is 'Zoo Keeper' The Best Hidden DS Gem

There are those moments in life where you stumble upon lost treasures that defined your childhood or remind you of a specific time in your life. For me, it was this past Thursday at a local, independently owned video game store.

After browsing the aisles aimlessly for quite some time, I decided to take one last look at a small section of encased Nintendo DS games. After immediately aiming my eyes at the end of the alphabetical rearrangement, I was surprised to finally spot a game that I had been desperately searching for. "Zoo Keeper" was one of those games that really expressed my childhood. Admittedly, it's just "Bejeweled," but with animals. However, it was a game that I could play for hours and forget about anything I wanted or needed to.

"Zoo Keeper" is a treasure and I haven't found anyone else that has played this game as well. Growing up, I would play it with one of my closest friends on the battle mode. I could waste time independently on the other game modes or take turns swapping it out with a friend. This game is honestly one of the simplest ones, but it holds so much personal meaning for me.

So, what is it that makes this game a hidden gem? It may be simple in principle, but this game definitely tests your speed and reflexes. You have to think quickly and always be one step ahead of your own moves. If you want to really beat your personal best, there isn't time to look for the next match, you have to already know where it is. Although this puzzle game isn't necessarily breaking the mold in the industry, it's a fun rendition of a timeless template that everyone knows and loves.