You're Using Your Social Media Wrong

You're Using Your Social Media Wrong

Try to find the positive in every situation.

92
You're Using Your Social Media Wrong
William Iven // Unsplash

A few weeks ago I wrote an article that got a lot of negative attention. As I scrolled through the comments from people I'd never met, most of them cruel and sharp, I couldn't help but be astounded that someone had went out of their day to type something so awful to a person they didn't know.

This is the problem with our generation: People waste their social media access by spreading negativity. Although this realization isn't something that just occurred to me, it seems more important to address it now than ever before. While the US makes advances in technology and medicine, it's decreasing in social skills and genuine kindness. Here's a challenge to every single person reading this: Log into your social media account and write a positive comment on someone's page.

This is something I try to do every day. I have never, in my entire life, left a negative comment on someone's social media account. It just doesn't make sense to me to go out of my way to write something hurtful. This applies even to celebrities, who are unlikely to read any comments, much less my own--yet I only write positive things on their Instagram photos.

I am a firm believer that if you don't like what you're looking at, then you should keep scrolling. I wish more people used their social media to write positive comments because you never know who will read it. Comments have the power to reach people from all over the world, including people that you know. I wonder how many people would comment the way that they do if their parents were reading over their shoulder?

It's impossible for everyone to love each other. It's impossible for everyone to even tolerate each other. That's okay! We all have people we can't stand, but it's our decision how we choose to handle it. I can think of a few people off the top of my head that I've got beef with; both far-away celebrities and people in my iPhone contacts.

When I'm upset with someone, I usually go on a Twitter rant without mentioning names or tagging them, because what good would that do? It would just stir up the drama that I'm purging out of myself. If that doesn't work or if it's something private that's upsetting me, I write poetry or journal. When I feel better, I make a change so that I don't have to feel that way again.

For example, I delete toxic Facebook friends and unfollow people on Instagram. At the end of the day, I feel better and the people I don't like didn't have their days ruined by me writing mean stuff on their Instagram selfie. One small negative comment could have ruined someone's day, but instead I channeled my anger in a healthy way.

On the flip side, I enjoy writing nice comments on people's pages. Everyone enjoys being complimented. Putting a smile on someone's face is one of the best feelings. Not only that, but being kind to others makes me feel better about myself. The words that you say and write cannot be taken back, but you will never regret being kind.

Basically, the moral of my story is to be kind. The world already has enough horrible things going on in it. Leaving a negative comment on someone's social media account does not contribute to bettering society. It has the capacity to ruin someone's day, week or month.

In the case of cyber-bullying, it can ruin lives. There is always something positive to look for: in every person, in every situation and at every moment. Find these positives and use them to make someone smile. Please, be kind today.