Your worth is not based upon your college transcript.

To anyone who’s in college.

2

College is HARD. High school can not prepare you for it, frankly nothing can. College is a different world, and you go into it as one person and you come out a completely different person. You might think you won't, but believe me you will. And you also might think you're prepared but I can promise you aren’t.

I went into my freshmen year of college with a full semester of hours I obtained while in high school through various AP, Dual Credit, and online classes through the community college. And boy did I think I knew what I was doing. I worked a job in high school, I took on a "difficult" course load, and I was apart of the cheer team which was also very demanding. I thought I could balance my time well. I was wrong. Not only is the course load in college more difficult, the life you live makes it 10 times harder. If you're a student living on campus like I did, you are submerged to essentially living on your own as an 18 year old and having complete freedom.

No one is there to make sure you're awake for your 8AM. You're going to fight with your roommate and feel like you have no where to go. You're gonna meet amazing people and lose people you thought you'd have forever. You're gonna study for hours upon hours and only to do mediocre on an exam. You're gonna be stressed and feel like you have no idea what you're doing. Not to mention you have to retain the information because you're going to actually be doing what you're studying. You're going to go to party's and make mistakes and then wake up the next morning and realize you have an exam. You're going to fail a class and have to retake it. You're going to mess up and feel like it's not even WORTH IT ANYMORE. Because college is hard. And if you work a job while in school, you have to manage school sleep and some what of a social life. And even more props if you do all of that while being involved in a sport, sorority, etc.

I went from being a great student, grade wise, to an okay student. And i was not involved in anything extra while in school.

I'm telling you all of this to let you know that college students are not exaggerating when they are stressed out to the point of tears. When students drop out, they are not failures. We are in the time of our lives where we are figuring ourselves out also while trying to obtain a degree that we now need in today's society and do that successfully. Do not belittle their feelings, stress, and tears. Because college is hard and no one tells you that. They tell you it's difficult but no one tells you that you will want to puke after drinking so much redbull to pull an all-nighter to pass a class. No one tells you that you will have a professor that makes you feel stupid. No one tells you that you will change your mind and it will take longer to go to school. No one tells you that it's normal and OKAY if you don't get your degree in the 4 year time span. No one tells you that credits don't transfer. No one tells you that you will cry, a lot. And no one tells you how much you will inevitably put your worth based upon grades, because that's what it seems like when all you've done is be in school.

No one tells you the bad parts, because the good parts are just as good. I became a better person by leaving home and exploring, even if I was only 2 hours away. I met amazing people and professors that i will forever be grateful for. I made memories that will last me a lifetime and i don't regret anything. I'm happy, and I'm so excited to get my degree and graduate and finally do what I've been dreaming of.

But I'm here to tell you, that when you hit the rough patches find your people. Find the people that you can lean on and help you and dry your tears and scream loud music with you in the car. Find the people that go to Waffle House with you at 3AM or just to drive around because you can't sleep. Take it one assignment at a time if you have to and never take on more hours than you can handle. Drop the class if you have to. Take a semester off if you need to. I'm just here to remind the incoming freshmen and people in college already that it is going to be the best years of your life but don't let it get to you when you finally see a D on your transcript. Because the grade do not define you. Your actions, personality, and the way you treat people do. The grades can be replaced, but nothing else can't be. So don't be so hard on yourself the first year, or even after that. Because we are all riding the exact same struggle bus and we all are under pressure. You're gonna do great and succeed.

Sincerely,

A junior in college who realized grades aren't the only thing that matters.