Your Significant Other Should Always Be Your Best Friend Too

Romantic gestures are awesome, but friendship gets you through life.

99

It's fair to say that having romantic dates and someone who sees you in a particular light -- that you feel just as warm and fuzzy about -- is a huge part of the appeal of having that special someone. It's also fair to say, though, that if life has taught us anything, it's that the reality of life and relationships is much less like the grand romantic gestures of rom coms, and more about having someone that can calm you down even in your most frazzled state. Romance is clearly what separates your relationship with your S.O. from other ones, but it's also the level of commitment that you are making to this person outside of simply just loving them in a romantic way -- the time, effort, vulnerability, etc. that you offer exclusively to them.

Here are some ways that you know your special someone doubles as your best friend too, and how these "best friend" experiences are even better shared with that person:

1. They watch your favorite show with you even though they don't like it. And you can get lots of kisses when your favorite character dies.

2. You guys are really excited when you go out for dates and obligatory couple pictures are necessary. There's also the added bonus of not always having to split the bill for the food or activity.

3. They help you to get your life together so that you can go out guilt free, but after cleaning and errands, you guys end up staying in and watching movies anyway.

4. You can drag them along to long family functions and avoid the "so why don't have a 'blank'?" type of questions altogether. Better yet, they can make the small talk for you. If you're bored, at least you're bored together.

5. Someone is always down to go karaoke singing, ice skating, or whatever other random thing you're in the mood to do. Even if it is not their idea of fun, they're willing to join you on your adventure.

6. Sometimes even the best of friends admit that they genuinely just don't have time for an hour long FaceTime or call, but your S.O. does their best to accommodate talking to you at least a little every day. (Even if they're not fully there mentally.)

7. Showing support at their events is its own kind of special.

8. Sometimes, your best friends just straight up say no to your quirky ideas. But out of love, your partner will even put up with (forced) #twinning.

9. Even the bummiest of days can turn into an impromptu photoshoot. Case in point, dropping them off at college.

10. While sometimes your best friends get frustrated at your constant need to document your relationship, they understand that you do it because you consider every moment with a special occasion.

11. There are even some days when in a stunning turn of events, they're the one who wants to take selfies.