Your Senior Year As Told By The Cast Of 'Parks And Recreation'

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well."

29
wired.com

Senior year of college is exciting, but at the same time, it can be stressful. In addition to balancing classes, many students are applying for jobs or graduate school. Here's what some of the stresses and successes of senior year look like, as told by the cast of "Parks and Recreation".

1. When you realize you have no idea what you're doing after graduation.

Joining the workforce? Going to grad school? Going to med school? Going to business school? Working with the Peace Corps? Traveling? The possibilities are endless, and that in and of itself is daunting. Some people have an idea of what they'd like to do post-graduation (like me), but they don't really know the logistics or fine details. Others don't have any idea what they're going to do, and that's okay. It's a confusing yet exciting time, and hopefully along the way we'll find our paths and get some direction and guidance.

2. When being an adult is not nearly as exciting as you had anticipated.

With being adult comes a lot of responsibility. Post-graduation life means having to consider job options and/or even more higher education and learning to be (even more) self-sufficient. Cooking on a daily basis, and doing laundry before you're completely out of underwear, budgeting, paying bills, oh my.

3. When you start applying for jobs or grad school.

Those applications can be pretty tricky. I mean, I think I filled out them out correctly. Who knew there were so many programs to choose from for grad school? What do you mean that I have to choose several locations that I'd be willing to move to for a job?

4. When you have to balance school with applications, but application deadlines and midterm season coincide.

Remember to take a break when you need to and prioritize. Plan ahead and make sure you know when exams and application deadlines are. Use a planner or your calendar app to keep track of important dates and stay on top of everything. To manage stress, find a good stress relief outlet, whether it's reading, writing, listening to or playing music, drawing, exercising; set aside time every day to do something that makes you happy.

5. When someone starts talking about the realities of being an adult and you start stressing out.

Let's not talk about the fact that in a few short months we'll be living on our own or how expensive the real world is. I don't need the constant reminder that I'm not ready to be a fully functioning, employed, self-sufficient adult. Let's slow down and take things one day at a time. Most of us aren't in any rush to become full-time adults just yet.

6. When you apply for jobs and see that they have unrealistic requirements.

Nowadays it seems like job requirements are becoming harder to meet for those of us planning to work straight out of college. We're in our early 20s and it seems like even entry-level jobs require years of experience that most of us don't have. I'm 21 years old. How am I supposed to have 25 years of experience for a job?

7. When you finally get hired after months of applications, anxious waiting, and interviews.

You'll finally be able to pay for things! Think about how nice it'll be to actually have money in your bank account and to say that you have a job! Personally, I'm looking forward to how accomplished I'll feel to be able to say that I'm employed after graduation.

8. When you finally complete all your classes for your major.

Now you can take classes that interest you! Go ahead and take that art class or journalism class that you haven't previously had time to take! Expand your horizons or just simply take a class that you have an actual interest in taking. No more taking classes that you need to take that you don't enjoy! Explore your options because you deserve it!

9. When you realize graduation is just a few days away and you'll be entering the real adult world.

THE PANIC IS SO REAL. No amount of pep talk can calm my nerves about becoming a real, actual, full-time adult with a job. Is anyone really ready to become an adult? Are any of us really truly 100% confident that we are ready to leave the bubble of undergrad life and enter into adulthood?

10. When you walk across that stage and get your diploma after four years of hard work.

After four years of hard work, a lot of stress, tears, happy moments, sad moments, setbacks, and accomplishments, in May or June we'll stride across that stage, signaling the end of this chapter of our lives. Undergrad may not have been as easy as we anticipated, but we made it! We got through these four years and earned that diploma!

11. When you realize how much you appreciate the people who have supported you and kept you grounded throughout your college career.

I speak for myself when I say that I would not have become the person I am today without the friends that I've made in my undergrad career. I hope that all of you reading this have had the same opportunities that I have had in my undergrad to meet new people who have become my second family. Both of my families, blood-related and not, have been nothing but supportive, understanding, and encouraging throughout my college career and for that, I am so thankful.

With that being said, I encourage all you rising seniors to take this last year of undergrad to really cherish the people around you. Now is the time to really enjoy all that undergrad has to offer that you may not have had the time to experience earlier! Make the most of it! Congrats Class of 2018, we made it!