Your New Year's Resolution NEEDS To Be Having A New Year's Resolution

It's better to fail than to not try at all.
32

How many times have you made a New Year’s resolution, but never went through with it? I know that my answer to that is far too many. I've tried it all, too: changing my diet, working out more, being kinder, stop procrastinating. For whatever reason, nothing seems to stick. It always ends up feeling like I'm locked in the same place I've always been, and nothing really ever moves forward. If you’re not like this, and you have truly made a resolution come true, I am in awe of your resolve.

But for the rest of us, after years of telling yourself you’re going to start going to the gym four times a week, making resolutions you know aren’t going to happen to get old. There’s only so many times you can let your own self down before you just give up the jig and comes to terms with the fact that no matter how many New Year's resolutions you make.

If you feel this way, I'm totally with you.

But, then again, isn't better to try and not succeed than to not try at all?

Sure, it is frustrating when you say you're going to do something, and to fervently hope that it does, just for things to not work out how you wished they would have. Sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles. On the other hand, though, even when those infamous resolutions don't come to fruition, you are never truly at a loss — deciding on self-improvement is self-improvement in itself, even if it doesn't exactly pan out. Simply choosing to better yourself in some type of way is a great thing. It means you care enough to at least try to be the best version of yourself. Even if you don't get the results you want immediately, or just when you think you will, the fact that you even tried in the first place is what actually matters. Sometimes it takes a few failed attempts to make any sort of change anyways.

Don't give up because it hasn't happened yet. Keep trying because it will.

You might not even notice the change within you because it wasn't the one you were expecting. That's okay, keep trying anyway. Go make that resolution, try your best to succeed. If you don't, at least you don't have to regret not trying at all. New year, new you, even if you don't live up to the expectations you thought you would.