Your New Tattoo Could Kill You

Your New Tattoo Could Kill You

One man's story reminds readers to use proper tattoo aftercare.

387
Your New Tattoo Could Kill You
tumblr

I think most people who have tattoos know how much aftercare they require, especially if you're providing good aftercare. Tattoos, once healed, are a walk in the park--but if you don't take care of them while they're still new, it could cost you. Take, for example, the man from Texas who died after his fresh tattoo got infected.

The 31-year-old, whose name has been withheld, went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico just five days after getting a new tattoo on his calf. The man's story goes from bad to worse: the Gulf of Mexico, as well as other coastal waters, contain a bacterium called vibrio vulnificus. The bacterium got inside the skin, which is still open and vulnerable for weeks after getting a tattoo, and led to a nasty infection.

This infection, called vibriosis, affects more people than you'd think. Over 80,000 people each year become ill as a result of it, while approximately 100 die--and that's just in the United States. I know what you're thinking--Oh my god, how do I make sure this bacterium doesn't infect me? Good news: The chances of being affected by the bacterium are almost nonexistent as long as you don't swim in contaminated water (especially with an open skin wound like a fresh tattoo) and stay away from raw oysters. One doctor estimated that 95 percent of cases of vibrio vulnificus were a result of people ingesting raw oysters that had been contaminated in the water. Moral of the story: Cook your oysters (or just don't eat them at all).

While most people with strong immune systems bounce back from the infection--only suffering vomiting and diarrhea--there are a few underlying conditions that can make it harder to fight the infection off. CNN writes, "The strongest risk factors are liver disease, cancer, diabetes, HIV and thalassemia, a rare blood disorder."

The Texan man suffered from liver disease, a result of ingesting over 72 ounces of beer per day. By the time he arrived in the hospital three days after the initial dip in the Gulf, he was already in the early stages of septic shock. His leg became covered in large fluid-filled bumps and turned purple. (You can see the photos here. Be warned: They're pretty graphic.) He remained in the hospital for over two months before dying of septic shock.

This is definitely a cautionary tale. One mistake caused this man to lose his life. His infection spread quickly, landing him in the hospital less than 72 hours later, and one can only wonder what would have happened if he had gone in sooner. If you contaminate your new tattoo and experience any discomfort, don't hesitate to go to the hospital and get it checked out. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Now, to make sure all of my readers remain safe and healthy, I'm going to list some proper tattoo aftercare.

1. Make sure to apply ointment to a fresh tattoo.

This helps the skin heal faster which reduces the risk of infection. For all three of my tattoos, I used Aquaphor. You can get it at your local Walmart (or just about anywhere, really).

2. Wash your tattoo gently with unscented anti-bacterial soap two times a day for three to five days, or until the skin begins to peel off of the tattoo.

Pat the tattoo dry (don't scrub) and then apply ointment.

3. After the skin has begun to peel, or it's been five days, stop using Aquaphor/ointment and switch to lotion.

You don't want to use a heavy lotion, like Vaseline, which can clog the pores and pull pigment out of the tattoo. Make sure it's unscented and apply a light layer. Most tattoo places sell aftercare lotion. I personally used Lubriderm Daily Moisture.

4. Continue to wash and moisturize your tattoo two times a day until the scab is gone.

Even after the scab is gone, it's recommended to keep washing your tattoo with soap until it's fully healed, which takes anywhere from three to six weeks depending on size and location. I erred on the side of caution and washed my tattoos the full six weeks just to be safe, applying lotion now and then to keep my skin from drying out.

5. During these six weeks, avoid prolonged water and sun exposure to the tattoo.

DEFINITELY don't submerge your new tattoo in water. Basically, you're trying to let the pores close, so it's important to avoid long, hot showers and baths. Don't go tanning (especially in a germ-infested public tanning bed), and don't go swimming--in chlorine or in fresh or salt water. Keep your tattoo as dry as possible.

6. Remember, everyone's tattoo heals differently.

It's normal to experience skin tightness, scabbing, peeling and irritation. If you do notice irritation around your tattoo, keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't spread. If the redness spreads and/or causes you pain, it could be your skin having an allergic reaction to the ink. In that case, check in with your tattoo artist.

7. This one is common sense but it needs to be repeated: Only go to licensed, trained, sanitary tattoo artists.

If your artist makes you uncomfortable or worried at any time, go somewhere else! This will be on your skin for the rest of your life.

Well, there you have it, friends. Use proper tattoo aftercare – it could save your life.