HOW TO ENSURE YOU WORK EFFECTIVELY WITH YOUR LANDSCAPE PROFESSIONAL

LANDSCAPE

63

The work, your landscape professional, does to your garden, backyard, patio, or lawn plays a big part in determining the overall look of your outdoor living space. Once you have chosen the right landscape professional, there are a few things to do to ensure you work with them effectively.

Below is a list of things I would recommend, things that enhance professional work relations between a landscaping professional and their client.

Communicate your long-term vision

I once saw a fantastic landscape design in Calgary and could not hide my enthusiasm. I had to knock on the homeowner's door to inquire more about the incredible work of art of the landscape designer. At first, I was a bit skeptical about walking into a stranger's home but to my surprise, they were so welcoming.

I wanted to know how they came up with the whole landscape design plan.

As we spoke, the homeowner insisted on first communicating your long-term vision to your landscape professional. They have to have the whole picture of how you envision the finished project. By doing so, they will be able to implement your entire plan in phases and as one big project instead of different projects.

Work with native shrubs, trees, and flowers

You may find that some landscapes have shrubs, trees, and flowers that are more likely to thrive there. Instead of buying some rare plant species and planting them in an unfavorable environment, get native plants or trees that will do well in your landscape.

When choosing the right plantings for your outdoor living space, consider the water resources, soil conditions, as well as the temperatures in your area.

How much time are you willing to spend maintaining your landscape after installation?

This is another area homeowners should think through before making any landscape investments. If you are always busy and have little time to take care of your outdoors then you should invest in a low maintenance landscape. It would also be wise to talk to your landscaping contractor about a maintenance plan.

Talk to your landscape professional about any special rules or restrictions in your community

Landscaping in Calgary has not had any significant limitations regarding the kind of installations to add to your outdoor space. However, some jurisdictions have laws and rules that are mandated by homeowners associations.

To avoid any rub in with the authorities, make sure you communicate any laws the landscape professional might not be familiar with. This will help the contractor plan your project accordingly and within the stipulated guidelines.

Know your budget

Contractors, most often than not, get clients who have not put enough thought into how much their landscaping project might cost. As a homeowner, it is highly recommended to have a specific budget in mind and communicate the same to your landscape professional. That way, he or she can make the most out of your investment.

Last but not least, always ask your contractor questions where need be. Make sure you understand what the contractor will or will not be able to do to avoid any frustrations in the future.

By following these simple guidelines, you will be able to avoid stress and have a much pleasant experience with your next landscape design project.