Your Guide To A Great Morning Start

Your Guide To A Great Morning Start

"Morning is an important time of day, because how you spend your morning can often tell you what kind of day you are going to have." — Lemony Snicket

7

To Do the Night Before . . .

1. Prep.

To avoid trying to scamper about in the morning searching for items such as a mandatory work shirt, set everything out that is needed for the day the night before. This also includes making sure your alarm is set and working. In addition to waking up on time, knowing your alarm clock is functional will set your mind at ease and allow you to fall asleep without worry. To prepare for any mishaps during the morning, set your alarm 10 minutes earlier than absolutely necessary to leave on time. It will give you more wiggle room to jam out to music and have several minutes to relax (with a magazine, social media, or coffee) before the busyness of the day starts.

The Day Of. . .

2. Don’t snooze the alarm.

No, waking up every ten minutes for an hour does not count as sleep. Pressing the snooze button is like eating chocolate, once you start you can’t stop. Also, light-sleeping roommates will be annoyed by continuously hearing your alarm every morning. Roommates are not ones to make angry, they know where you sleep at night. The second you hear the alarm go off, turn it off and jump (or crawl) out of bed.

3. Play upbeat music.

Playing upbeat music while getting ready will get you pumped up for the day and awake during early hours. Thankfully for us, Spotify has premade mixes perfect for a good morning start, such as “Pop Chillout” or “Mood Booster”, just to name a few.

4. Eat a good breakfast.

Hangry, anger from hunger, is not a myth. This means make sure your stomach is at least partially full before walking out of the door, for the sake of the people around you for a majority of the day. This does not mean a small granola bar. Take the time out of your morning to make a good breakfast of eggs, protein shake, or waffles. Your body will thank you later and dealing with an encounter later in the day with a slightly irritable pal will be far less painful.

5. Don’t get into a daily coffee routine if possible.

While you may go to sleep excited about the coffee you will have in the morning, as I sometimes do, it may not be for the best. Getting into a daily coffee routine may result in withdrawal symptoms when you are not able to have a cup. In order to avoid relying on coffee to prevent a headache, it is recommended to not have coffee more than a couple times a week. I recommend saving it as a treat on Thursday or Friday morning, hopefully for making it through the week with minimal tears.