Your First Time: A Love Story

Your First Time: A Love Story

Building a relationship with music and its creators.

245
Your First Time: A Love Story

I remember my first time like it was yesterday. Okay, it might be cliche to say yesterday, but when you have a powerful memory that is so impacting, filled with bliss and that stimulates the senses creating nostalgic sentiments, your first time can indeed feel like it literally happened the day before. Much like time, this "first time" is an illusion and not what some of you might be thinking. What I'm in all actuality referring to is that first song you ever listen to by an artist. Trust me, it's actually more influencing than what you might believe. The way the foreign sound penetrates your mind, or the automated response to reciprocate that feeling back is the first step in bonding when listening to an artist for the first time.

At around 2:34 a.m., I had this notion that our experience with music is a bonding encounter. It's like a symbiotic relationship that we leech on to survive, and that the music lives through us and depends on us to spread that message between other listeners. But what truly facilitates that link are the artists themselves. That first song you listen to is crucial in how you will view that artist forever. As an example, I remember the first Future song I heard. For those of you who don't know the Atlanta-based hip hop artist, he has a massive discography that contains studio albums, mixtapes and features. Everyone for the most part has had a different spot in time when it comes to the first time they heard of Future. "Turn On the Lights" was my first encounter. The production of the track and hook really pulled me into discover more about the modern day crooner. This here establishes the relationship to come.

That first time might be beautiful, but can the relationship hold? There's no sense in continuing forward if you're still stuck on that first song. All you can think about is "man I really wish things were what they used to be". There will be good days and bad days but through just know that every song will not be like the first time. Sometimes change is for the better. YG would not be where he is at right now if he didn't make that switch from jerk music. Things may get tough in a relationship but if you can overlook the negatives and reach a mutual ground, it will indeed feel like the first time again and even more.

Sadly, there are those who can't get over the differences and the relationship becomes stagnant and severed. This is okay, because everyone goes through this with an artist. Whether it be short term or long term, that artist might drop a hit or two and you'll start feeling it again. All I have to say is that the idea that music is a relationship exists. There is true effort into deciding who you want to listen to and as listeners, we do judge artists by the first time we ever heard them say a word on a track. We are as much a part of their musical journey as they are to us in our lives.