Your Complete Guide to Tattoo Aftercare

Your Complete Guide to Tattoo Aftercare

There are few experiences that are more exciting or exhilarating than walking out of a tattoo parlor with some badass new artwork on display.

48
Your Complete Guide to Tattoo Aftercare

In the last decade, tattoos have become increasingly common and socially acceptable, both inside and outside the workplace. On average, about 14% of all Americans are using some ink, with the highest density at ages 26-40, with at least 40% claiming to have one or more tattoos. That's over 45 million people in the US alone! So if you have gone under the needle, you are in good company

As any tattoo enthusiast knows, the most crucial part of getting new ink is not actually the work that is done in the salon, but the aftercare of the tattoo. Taking proper care of a new tattoo is what will make your ink look vibrant, clear, and healthy. As with any good investment, you want to make sure you take care of your time, energy, and money.

Why is tattoo aftercare important?

What exactly are the best ways to care for a new tattoo after leaving the salon? We've got answers to frequently asked questions and tips collected from the best tattoo artists and enthusiasts in the business to help you with easy, yet extremely important, tattoo aftercare.

Frequently asked questions for tattoo healing

How long does a tattoo take to heal?

As it can be a great test of endurance under the needle, most tattooed people will agree that it is the healing process that really requires the most patience. Healing of a tattoo generally takes about two weeks, probably longer if it is a particularly large or intensive piece. (This can vary from person to person, a strong immune system and healthy skin speed up the process.)

Will my skin bleed when I get a tattoo?

When you get a tattoo, your skin is essentially pierced thousands of times in the lower layers of the dermis. This is necessary so that the ink remains fixed. So if you're wondering, "Do tattoos bleed?" Seeing some bleeding during and after the process is normal and very temporary.

How does a healing tattoo feel?

A new tattoo is generally described as feeling like a very bad sunburn right after getting the job done, and it may be sore or tender to the touch for a few days afterward. After that, when your skin starts to regenerate, the itching will start; and if you can survive that, you are free!

Are tattoos supposed to peel off?

In short, yes. Peeling is part of the tattoo healing process and one of the stages of skin healing after the tattoo is done. See the stages of tattoo healing below.

What are the healing stages of a tattoo?

I weep (exudate) and scrape

(Week 1) For the next several hours immediately after getting a tattoo, you can expect some fluid to "weep" from the site. The plastic wrap should still cover your tattoo at this time. This plasma oozing from your wound (nice, I know) is an essential part of the healing process. After removing the wrap and gently cleaning, you will see scabs slowly start to form over the next few days, just like any skin lesions would heal. It is vital that you resist touching the scabs or scratching your tattoo site! Not only are our hands and nails generally full of bacteria that could cause infection, but removing the scab from a new tattoo will remove the ink from the skin. Let the tattoo heal on its own and the scab will come off naturally.

Peeled and flakes

(Week 2) After the layer of skin under the scab has recently healed, you will need to peel off the top layer of dead skin and your body will gradually remove it. Tattoo exfoliation is similar to the way a thin layer of skin peels off after a sunburn, revealing fresh, healed skin underneath. Peeling usually begins after the first week or so. It's important, once again, that you don't help peel while playing it, but patience will pay off in time.

SPICY AND CLOUDY

(Week 2-4) You can expect some itchiness over the course of your new tattoo healing, but it generally gets a bit more intense as it peels off. Once again you must resist scratching! (We have found that tapping the tattoo site is a good alternative to scratching.) Keeping it hydrated and clean also reduces itching. If your new body art looks a bit cloudy, this is normal. Once the skin is fully healed, your ink will vibrate again.

How long should I keep the wrap on my new tattoo?

Most artists recommend keeping your new ink bandaged for about 2-3 hours after finishing in the salon; This is mainly to catch any liquid as most tattoos have some bleeding/oozing after completion. It is also recommended to wrap your new tattoo in plastic wrap, taping the edges with medical tape, before going to bed the first night. This will prevent both bacteria from the bed from entering the tattoo site, as well as prevent the sheets from sticking to your healing tattoo, which will likely still ooze a bit.

How often should I wash my new tattoo?

You should wash the new tattoo 2-3 times a day. Anything less than that puts you at risk of infection, and anything else will unnecessarily dry out your skin and can fade the ink.

How should I clean a new tattoo?

After removing the bandage, you should gently wash the area with warm water and mild antibacterial soap. We have a list of LEVE BEST SOAPS to use for tattoo aftercare. (Make sure to avoid anything that contains parabens, fragrances, or alcohol, as all of those ingredients will irritate the new tattoo and itch like you wouldn't think.)

If you don't want to let your tattoo air dry, use a soft paper towel (such as Viva paper towels) to blot dry is best. Cloth towels stick to more bacteria, and the fibers can get caught in the tattoo scab. High-quality cloth paper towels are soft and fluffy, but won't leave particles behind. The key is to be nice, use gentle products, and you'll be fine.

What products should I use for post-tattoo care?

It may seem overwhelming if this is your first time, but we've got you covered here with the best tattoo aftercare products!

Ointment

For the first few days, you will want to apply an ointment to your tattoo about 2-3 times a day after washing, depending on how dry your skin is. The best artists recommend using an ointment first over a cream or lotion because ointments have a thicker consistency and tend to be more resistant to water. Ointments also provide better protection against dirt, germs, and other environmental agents that could cause infection or other problems with a new tattoo.

You can check out this list of top-ranked BEST OINTMENTS for tattoo aftercare.

Lotion or cream

After the first few days, you can switch from ointment to using lotion, as long as it is fragrance-free and does not contain dyes, which can react badly with tattoo ink. These are the smoothest and most proven TOP LOTIONS on the market for new tattoos.

For those of you who have naturally dry skin, you can try a cream over a lotion; You can see the BEST CREAMS for tattoo aftercare here. A good rule of thumb for choosing an aftercare product is to look for lotions or creams with a minimal amount of chemicals; the more ingredients you can pronounce, the better.

Coconut oil

Another increasingly popular option is to use coconut oil for new tattoos because coconut oil is an all-natural, sustainable, antibacterial, and extremely affordable alternative. Organic coconut oil can be used in place of ointment, lotion, or cream, and is good to use on your skin daily before and after tattoos. Read here about the amazing benefits of coconut oil.

A note when applying any product on your tattoo:

It is very important that you do not over-saturate your tattoo while using any of these products; A very thin layer will suffice, just enough to cover the inked area. Anything more than that and will suffocate the skin there (having a constant flow of oxygen is essential for proper healing), or the products could draw the ink out of the skin. Over application can also result in tattoo pimples, which is when bacteria get trapped on the skin because the pores are clogged. (If you can see the shine of the ointment on your skin, it has been applied too much!)

What happens if I get tattoo pimples?

If you see those annoying little red pimples appear on your new tattoo as it is healing, the best thing you can do is leave it and don't touch or try to pop those pimples! With regular gentle washing, air drying, and minimal amounts of pomade, those pimples will go away on their own. (However, if you start to see signs of infection, swelling, heat, and pus, and discharge, you should call your doctor.)

Can I go swimming with a new tattoo?

Not! One of the worst things you can do is swim with a new tattoo. Any stagnant body of water, be it a pool, lake, ocean, or even a bathtub, is a breeding ground for bacteria that can cause a serious infection on newly tattooed skin. An additional hazard when swimming in a pool is the chemicals used in the water, which can not only irritate a new tattoo but can easily bleach the ink. However, showers are fine and recommended, as long as the water is warm, not too hot, as it is possible to burn sensitive skin on your new tattoo. Read more about swimming after tattoos here.

Can I get a tan with a new tattoo?

Not! You should avoid exposing your tattoo to direct sunlight for at least the 2-3 weeks it takes for your new ink to heal. Sunlight will fade the ink and can be harmful to skin that is still healing. It's best to keep new ink covered with soft, loose cotton fabrics until it cures, and it never hurts to wear a thin layer of tattoo sunscreen for added protection.