Your Anagrams Are Showing

Your Anagrams Are Showing

Here's what happened when I re-watched 'Silence of the Lambs.'

93
Your Anagrams Are Showing
Silence of the Lambs // Demme Productions

1:58 AM. Sunday, December 27th.

Today, I'm about to embark on a straaaange journey. One which I've been looking forward to and yet dreading at the same time. Today: I re-watch "The Silence of The Lambs."

When I was about thirteen years-old, every Friday, I would sleep over at my best friend's house and we (but mostly me) would watch "Lambs." I was away on vacation, and caught the end of the film, and found myself quite disturbed. Certainly this was a normal reaction, but one I had not experienced before, at least not with that level of shock.

I'd first like to give a special shout out to Ted Levine, who portrayed Buffalo Bill, by far the creepiest antagonist ever. He just gets under your skin (haha). His acting range is outstanding. Many of my contemporaries might remember a show that aired on the USA Network called "Monk." Well folks, hold on to your hats, because the actor who played Captain Leland Stottlemeyer was none other than Ted Levine. All i've got to say is: damn son. You go from playing a mega-freaky killer, to a lovable curmudgeon. That's what I call RANGE.

I'm not really sure what I'm expecting to gain or lose from this experience, but I thought that I might as well document it, because knowing myself, some silly fodder could emerge.

4:30 PM. Sunday, December 27th.

Well, I am pleased to announce that re-watching "Lambs" was far less creepy than originally thought. Yes, there were some moments when I asked myself why I was doing this again, but at the same time, I realized a few things.

First, if you don't have a major girl crush on Jodie Foster's Clarice Starling, girl what are you doing with your life? She is everything I want to be. She is strong, she has steel balls, and she doesn't let men dictate what she can or cannot do. #BLESS.

Second, that there are so many interesting pieces of trivia associated with the film. Did you know that the FBI gave those involved help if asked? The film itself was thought by the FBI to have to the potential to inspire women to join the Bureau. Also, the weird dance Buffalo Bill does was not set to be in the movie, but at Ted Levine's insistence, it was included.

One of the reasons I so desperately want to work in the world of film and television is because I know that there are people and ideas that are great. I know that there are stories to be told, and that there are untapped performers of extreme skill levels who can tell those stories. Today, we are so bombarded with mediocrity in just about everything. Television and movies are no exception. We are also in a world where movie studios intend to milk an idea for everything it's got, which in many cases, means unnecessarily splitting up sequels, or prolonging a single idea for no other reason, than to make a profit ("The Hobbit" I'm looking at you. You didn't need 3 films. Nope). As someone who loves movies and television, this irks me to no end. Just stop. Not only are you distilling great ideas, but you are also losing many of those who would have become invested in the first place. Instead of any actual success, all of those projects, at least in my eyes, have achieved a "you tried" star.

What does any of this have to do with "Lambs," a movie about a budding FBI investigator, a former-psychiatrist-who-also-happened-to-be-a-cannibal-turned-psych-patient, and a dude who keeps women in a pit only to make suits out of their skins? That's a good question, to which I am not sure any answer would suffice. I just really wanted to applaud those involved with "Lambs," and I wanted to let them know that: even though almost 25 years have passed since the film's release (it's almost 3 years older than I), it still remains revered by many in the industry and by many in the public as one of the greatest films made. Y'all can take a bow, and pick up your "WE SUCCEEDED" stars in the mail.