Having A Way Younger Sibling Is The Best

He's my baby, too. Sorry, Mom.

181
Photo by Maddie Rogers

I'm the oldest in my family, so for 4 short, precious years, I was an only child. Then along came my sister.

For the next 5 years, we would grow comfortable in our little family of 4. All girls except for my dad.

After those 5 years, our lives would be turned upside down when we found out we were getting a new little brother.

I'm 20 years old now, and I was 10 shortly after my little brother was born. I didn't like it. At first, I was distraught because the life I had grown so accustomed to for 9 years was changing and there was nothing I could do about it. I thought my life was ruined. (But I was also quite dramatic as a 9-year-old).

Looking back now, I can't believe I would've ever not wanted my sweet little brother on this earth. He was my real life baby doll when he came into this world and I'll always protect him for as long as he'll let me.

Having a sibling 10 or so years younger than you, puts you into this older sibling category that only a few people are so honored to be a part of.

Sure, you have a little brother or sister like a lot of people do, but in a way, they're like your child too. You get to watch them go through kindergarten and elementary school and remember what it was like when you were there too. It brings back a special sort of nostalgia that you can't get from anything else.

Having a little kid around that's like a little you is as terrifying as it sounds, but it's also wonderful. Their innocent, happy spirit is infectious and makes your life a little bit happier too.

Be prepared for the looks when you take them to grocery store, too. People don't seem to realize that I didn't have my little brother when I was 10, so therefore, he's not my child, but I digress.

And let's not forget, you're basically a built-in babysitter. Your parents will love that one .

You get to cheer them on at their games. Trust me, you'll get into it, and you're absolutely right, my little brother is the best one on the team.

You'll come home from school on breaks and get to pick them up after school and take them to get ice cream and all the fun things that make you coolest big sister ever. And if you're anything like me and my brother, you'll join forces against the middle sibling that is your other sibling (sorry, Ella).

Having a way younger sibling, as I like to call them, is such a gratifying experience that few other people get the opportunity to have. You'd secretly like to think that their your child, along with your parents' and that little boy or girl gets loved with everything in you.

Being a big sister is such a fun, stressful, drive-you-crazy, love with all you have kind of experience with both my little sister and way younger brother and I wouldn't want my life to be any other way.

I get to watch this sweet little boy grow up right before my eyes. Watch his games, drive him around, go on adventures with him, and it's the best thing ever.

So, if you ask me, having a way younger sibling, even they were unexpected, is a super special experience. It changes you as a person and it's something that other people just don't understand, and I'm so thankful for that.