7 Reason's "Younger" Fills the Void "Sex And The City" Left In Our Hearts

Watch out Sarah Jessica Parker, Sutton Foster is the new Queen in town.

168
News Cult

Let’s be honest, who wasn’t heartbroken when "Sex and the City" ended? Then came "The Carrie Diaries" and we all hoped the prequel would bring some joy back into our lives, but it lacked in an area where the original succeeded. Have no more fear, because Darren Star, creator of SATC, has created a new show, "Younger", and if you aren’t watching it, well you need to start now.

The show follows Liza Miller, played by a godsent herself Sutton Foster. After a recent divorce, she finds herself broke, living with her college friend Maggie (played by the brilliant Debi Mazar), and struggling to find a job in publishing due to her age (40). In hopes of landing a job, she reinvents herself, deleting her online existence; with the help of some shopping, a fake I.D., and glamorous highlights, she becomes a 26-year-old assistant to the sharp and witty, Diana Trout and Empirical Press, befriending co-worker Kelsey Peters, played by everyone’s favorite Disney Channel Star, Hilary Duff. If the cast itself hasn’t inspired you, get ready. By the end of the article, you’ll forget all about Carrie and Samantha, opening a door to Liza, Kelsey, and Maggie.

1. Females drive the show, promoting friendship as a key ingredient of success.

Forget having a friend who would bury a body with you, find a friend that will help you reinvent yourself and hide your identity. Liza and Maggie’s friendship is pure and shows the length women should go to helping one another. Maggie even plays along with the lie that Liza met her on Craigslist.

On the other side of the show is Kelsey, a 20-something-year-old Liza meets working at Empirical. Throughout the show, they celebrate each other’s successes, pick one another up if one falls, and will always have the other's back. Without giving too much away since the show is already on season 5, their friendship just like any in real life and has its ups and downs, but with HEALTHY communication they overcome their challenges. I for one am tired of seeing women being pitted against other women in pop-culture. This show capitalizes on the dynamics of women supporting other women.

2. It demonstrates the challenges of living a double life and what lying leads to, making the show comical as hell.

Part of what makes this show a comedy, and not some women lying to an entire office is the concept of a 40-year-old mom having to tweet and Snapchat to promote sales. If you are a millennial and have a parent, you know the struggle of having to explain social media to them. Obviously, there is a bit of a learning curve, but Liza meets the challenge of passing as a millennial. To further complicate her situation, she must hide her college daughter from the people she works with, especially her 26-year-old tattooed boyfriend Josh, who *spoiler alert* tattoos Liza’s daughter when she visits his shop. Yes, there are times throughout the show where Liza’s secret is potentially revealed but seeing the way she finagles her way out of sticky situations is part of what makes the show binge-worthy.

3. It shows the true challenges of being young working women.

"I'm not crying over a man, I'm crying over my job." A famous line from Kelsey Peters at the beginning of Season 4, sorry for the spoiler, but you’ll learn soon enough. Women are constantly being objectified in the workplace, particularly being put down by men on modern television shows. Younger capitalizes what women truly go through to be seen as equals. They are not two-dimensional characters obsessed with either men or work. Women, like Miriam Shor’s character Diana Trout, are complex women trying to balance both work and a personal life; a constant battle 21st-century women face every day.

4. You can watch it with your mom.

If you are like me and you have a close relationship with your mom, then you are always looking for a binge-worthy show to watch together. Yes, shows like Shameless and Weeds are hysterical, but I would never feel comfortable watching them with my mom. Since Younger is about a mother trying to pass as a millennial, you’re bound for great humor. All those references we use in regular conversations like “it’s going viral” or “tweet it” will be perfectly explained in the show. No more “mom-plaining” anymore.

5. The concept of “Ageism.”

Someone’s age should have no bearing on their ability or skills, but ageism is a thing. People are judged in life-based off a number. Society seems to have an expiration date, with the older your age, the less you are worth. Liza is unable to find a job since she has been out of the workforce for 20 years. However, when she lies and claims she is “younger”, despite having the same qualifications, she is seen worthier in the eyes of others.

6. The literary references.

I devour books faster than I binge Netflix shows, making this show the perfect combination. Liza and Kelsey work at a publishing house, so their dialogue is filled with witty banter about modern writers and books. No one is safe, the show has brought in references about Lena Dunham, J.K Rowling, even Katniss Everdeen.

7. The GIFS from the show are perfect!

Seriously, there were too many options to use!

Season 5 of Younger airs June 5th! I’ll admit, you are a little late to the party, but the invite is more than open. If you are looking to fill the void that Sex and the City left, Younger is the perfect show for you. It has relationships, friendships, life lessons and great fashion. Plus, I think we all need some adult Lizzie in our lives.