8 Things You'll Definitely Waste Your Money On During Your College Years

Absolute nonsense.

11

I definitely have come to find myself constantly working and never really seeing a surplus of money growing in my bank account. Of course, I pay for the basics- rent, food, gas. But where is all the other excess money going to?

Being in college for two years now, I've figured out the pattern. There are a few small(ish) things that we all have spent money on, probably won't admit it, but make some serious dents in our bank accounts. You can try to change what you purchase, but I think just knowing what you binge on can help in the long-run with saving money.

1. Bitesquad/Postmates

This goes for basically any food delivery service. It's so handy to sit in bed while someone else drives your food to you, but that extra five dollars isn't cheap. Get your lazy butt up and go get it yourself.

2. Alcohol

This might be an obvious one, but alcohol isn't free. And if you drink it every week, that's sure going to put in a dent in your bank account. Maybe make sure the party is BYOB so you don't have to share what's yours.

3. Going-out tops

Sure, you can wear a cute pair of shorts or jeans over and over again, but, shirts are an entirely different story. There were many times I had to run up to Urban Outfitters right before going out just to snag a cute, new top that no one had seen me wear before.

4. Textbooks

Yeah, this one might be required, but let's be honest- we never use them. You spend five hundred bucks on textbooks just to find out that they aren't needed for the course after all! That's money down the drain.

5. Juul/Nicotine devices

It's sad, but it's the truth. The electronic cigarette trend is booming with the college kids, and there's no doubt that the addiction isn't cheap. If you're running low on funds, just fiend off of someone else for a bit.

6. Club covers

Don't you just hate when you're in line to get into the club and you find out there's a fifteen dollar cover? It's absolutely the worst. How are you gonna charge me just to walk in, and then make me pay even more for drinks? Going out can be expensive if you don't know the ins and outs of the clubs in your area.

7. Streaming services

You would rather give up an arm and a leg than give up your subscription to Hulu. And, even though you already have like six different streaming services, you have to have them all. You know, just in case there's a show you really want to watch on there.

8. Neccessities

During your first year out of your home and living on your own, you'll discover that you weren't as good at apartment shopping as you thought. You'll realize you have to run and grab a strainer from Publix really quick before you start the pasta. There will be a number of things you have to buy, simply because you need it now that you live on your own.

Although some of these things can be costly, I think they are all a part of the overall college experience. If you're not paying for club covers, what are you doing on a Saturday night? Textbooks are pricey, but we all have to buy them anyways. The key is to pay for all of these things in moderation, therefore, you won't be drained of money by the end of your freshman year.