An Open Letter To My Dad

An Open Letter To My Dad

A girls first love.

42
An Open Letter To My Dad
EmmaCecil

Dad,

After 21 years I am certain I drew the winning lottery ticket. You have always supported me with everything I do, and for that I am forever grateful. Whether I wanted to have a princess birthday party or I wanted to make mud pies in the back yard and take a ride in the go-kart, you were always there. I want to thank you for always allowing me to be myself.

Allowing children to be themselves is something that is often overlooked. Growing up, I had an undeniable passion for baseball. You worked with me every single day on the ball field. The tireless days that you spent critiquing my skills is something I will never forget. Not only were you my number 1 cheerleader, but you were also my voice. Thank you for not only making me a good enough ball player to keep up with the boys, but for also fighting for my right to play boys’ baseball.

In 7th grade you allowed me to go to the school of my dreams. You allowed me to be a boarding student at a top private college-preparatory school. The sacrifices you made to facilitate my dreams is second to none. Thank you for the many trips to take me to dinner and to shoot hoops or throw softball. Your presence eased the sting of homesickness. Thank you for putting my education before yourself.

I owe my strong sense of self to you. I am a strong, open-minded, ambitious woman and you are to thank for that. Your endless hours of hard work proved that anything is possible. You are able to support a family of four with a dream that you turned into your business. Your fearlessness, dedication, and diligence is inspiring. Speaking of inspiration, the love you exhibit for Mom is unmatched. How lucky am I to have such a positive example of how a man should treat a woman. I hope to find a man that is half of who you are. Thank you for showing unconditional love and thank you for never giving up on me. Your support to play a college sport, to transfer schools, change majors, and move into my first apartment was unparalleled. I change my mind a lot, thank you for staying patient.

Thank you for teaching me that when life knocks you down, you rub some dirt on your wound and you stand back up.

Thank you for teaching me that it’s okay to speak your mind and to have a voice that is entirely your own.

Thank you for holding me when my heart has been broken.

Thank you for understanding that I love shoes… a lot.

Thank you for hour-long phone calls. I think you’re the only person who could out-talk me.

Thank you for sending me flowers on Valentine's Day.

Thank you for coming to all of my games.

Thank you for letting me have a cat even though you're allergic.

Thank you for holding my hand through MRIs because I was afraid.

Thank you for forgiving me when I get a new ear piercing. (I know you hate them)

Thank you for making my friends feel like family.

Thank you for crying when I cry.

Thank you for making blueberry pancakes in the morning.

Thank you for preparing me to complete my dream of playing college softball and thank you for understanding that it wasn’t for me.

Thank you for playing war ball with me.

Thank you for making fun of my boyfriends.

Thank you for putting tiled dolphins at the bottom of our pool because I thought they were pretty.

Thank you for providing me with a car.

Thank you for being the best date to Daddy Daughter Dances.

Thank you for allowing me to make my own decisions and my own mistakes.

Thank you for giving me the world.

Thank you for being an example of what I deserve in a man.

Thank you, Dad.

I can’t express in words what you’ve done for me or given me. You’ve given me an entire world of endless possibilities. You’re my best friend and my biggest supporter. Your hard work and your ever-loving spirit is something I so admire. As much as I hate to admit it, I sure do act (and look) a lot like you. Thank you for making me stubborn, opinionated, and hardheaded. I look up to you in more ways than you could ever understand. Thank you for being yourself and thank you for raising me. I love you, dad.

Love always,

Your little girl.