We all grow up with fears. As children, we're afraid of the dark, heights, snakes, clowns, and spiders. And honestly, when I think about it, most of those fears tend to stick with us. But as we get older, we tend to also gain more sophisticated fears. Maybe you're afraid of failure or the unknown. Maybe you don't know how you will make ends meet financially every month. Or maybe like Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars, you're afraid of oblivion. Whatever it may be, we all have fears.

Although we have fear in common, that does not mean we need fear in our lives. I have yet to experience or hear of a story where fear actually helped someone. The fear of failure is so prevalent in college life. Where else would college stress come from? Sure, there may be outside problems, but most often, our fear of failure causes the unrelenting stress that many of us have.

Or how about the fear of the unknown? Did the fear of the unknown when graduating college ever actually get someone a job? I highly doubt it. The fear of not having enough money doesn't get you money. The fear of not being good enough doesn't actually make us good enough in our mind.

Fear never actually helps us, it only drags us down. As a Christian, there is no place for fear in my life. 1 John 4:18 says, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love." Through God's perfect love, He casts out all fear.

Living in fear is not healthy. It weakens our faith and strains our relationship with God. The Bible repeatedly discusses fear. We don't need to have fear, anxiety, or stress, because no matter what, God's got us. Matthew 6:34 says, “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

God has His hand on us, and His plan is ultimately better than ours, anyways. Fears are only stories we tell ourselves. They are all created by our own choice, and we can and should learn to live without them.

"Let your faith be bigger than your fear."