You Don't Have To Be Productive All The Time: A Guide To Avoiding Burnout

A hard lesson for the workaholics & perfectionists out there.

19

By now, you've probably seen a ton of articles talking about self-care and downtime. But, they're right. If you're working all the time, nonstop, you are going to burn out. Period. And while it's still in the beginning of the semester, I have a few tips to help combat burnout from the start:

Break the day into chunks

media.giphy.com

If you're working all day, I can pretty much guarantee that you are not being as productive as you can be. If you have classes in the late morning and early afternoon, schedule some time between your classes to get some tasks done. I don't know about you, but after a few classes, my brain can't handle more information and it literally shuts down. So, after my classes, I take a few hours off school to do other things. I eat lunch, watch YouTube, scroll on TikTok, or meditate for a while. Then, I come back around the evenings for a final work session before I relax and go to bed. I have "on" hours and "off" hours and I recommend you do the same.

Make a master to-do list

media.giphy.com

If you have all your tasks to complete for all of your classes in one central location ordered by when they're due, you are set for an organized semester and you will get better grades. A lot of the time, I think I'm being productive or getting things done, but I'm actually just organizing for my classes; I'm pulling up lecture notes, writing out what's due for the week etc. So, if your professors have given you all the assignments for the year, put them all into one Excel sheet and order them based on when they're due. Boom. You'll never miss a deadline again.

Have an off day, if you can spare it

media.giphy.com

I know a lot of people are fine with working everyday, but honestly, it's not for me. As I've gotten older, I've realized the importance of separate time for school/work and for my personal life. So, I try not to work on Friday and Saturday nights. I like to work on weekend mornings, but the nights are reserved for family time, Netflix parties, and FaceTime. If you can't spare an entire day, maybe just try a part of a day. So, you won't work on a Friday night and you can schedule some downtime. It helps, trust me.

Take care of yourself

media.giphy.com

Making sure you're healthy during a global pandemic, especially if you live in the USA, where the federal government response is lacking, to say the least, is essential. Take your vitamins. Drink water. Throw a vegetable in your diet. Eat some antioxidant-rich foods for your brain, like blueberries or salmon. Get outside, even just for walk. Take care of your body and it will reward you immensely.

Take care of your space

media.giphy.com

I think a lot of us are back in our childhood bedrooms doing online school and it's really easy to let our spaces become untidy. Do laundry when you need to. (This is a reminder to strip your bed, wash the sheets, and remake the bed in full. Disinfect surfaces, dust, vacuum, clean mirrors and windows. I always feel better when my space is tidy and organized. Maybe that will help you.