You Don’t Know What You Have Until It’s Gone: The Life Of A Live-Out

7

Saying that I took my live-in experience for granted would be an understatement.

No matter when you become a resident of your lettered mansion, move-in day is a highly anticipated one. For me, this day went hand-in-hand with the beginning of what we call Work Week – one of the most exciting, energetic, exhausting weeks of your life.

My excitement gradually turned to dread as I focused on all the negative aspects of living with over 60 girls. With my sophomore year drawing to an end, I found myself almost loathing the beautiful house I was lucky enough to call home. “I thought we were supposed to be independent in college,” I complained. “I wish I could cook my own meals.”

News flash: living in a sorority is the perfect combination of independence and reliability. You’re almost an adult, but with nowhere near the responsibilities.

As I whined about the little things, I never stopped to think about everything that was being done for me. In the grand scheme of things, I was being waited on hand and foot. First of all, you’re living with your best friends in a giant, cutely decorated house. That alone will never happen again. If there is a utility issue, it’s not your problem. Getting locked out of your house? Never. 

Despite all the benefits, I couldn’t wait to live in a house with my own kitchen and room. Once the chaos of moving had settled, my roommate (who just happens to be my best friend) and I felt like we were playing house. It was exhilarating, fun and we finally felt like big girls. That was, until we met reality. Do you know how to deal with a blown fuse? Yeah! Just flip the circuit breaker switch! Not always, I discovered.

Student housing does not consist of up-to-date houses with things that work. Within the first week of living on our own we found ourselves electricity-less and staring at the most convoluted fuse box in existence. As if that wasn’t enough, our shower stopped draining the next day. I then decided to lock my keys in my room and the following day we couldn’t get our washing machine to stay on for more than five minutes. While it seemed like one thing after another was going wrong, we couldn’t help but feel proud of ourselves for making it through our first disaster-struck week. 

The moral of the story is to always remind yourself of what you do have instead of focusing on what you don’t. To those who will be moving into their sorority this fall, be excited. It may not feel like it at times, but you will be treated like a princess and you will never make memories as amazing as the ones you will during your time in your chapter house. 

If this fall will be your first term living out, it will be okay. Every live out situation is different, but no matter how run-down or fancy your new home is, it’s still a step towards bigger and better things.

Embrace the chaos; life is only going to get more outrageous. 

Photo courtesy of www.theguardian.com/money/2008/mar/19/firsttimebuy...