10 Things You Can’t Get Your Dream Job Without

7. Clean Social Media

26
O'Dell & Silburn Business Law

Are you ready to run with the big players in your industry? You'll need these ten things to get you to the top. How many can you answer "yes" to?

1. Manners

You need these not just for your dream job, but for life. Are you polite? Do you know where the line is and when not to cross it? Do you know the specific set of manners that come with being in your industry?

2. References

These can get you in the door for any job. Can someone vouch for your work and good character? Can your future employer rely on the voices of others to help them decide if they should hire your or not? What do others have to say about you?

3. Writing Skills

Can you communicate effectively through written word? Can you send emails to clients without typos? Can you type up a document for your boss correctly? Can you type up a contract? Can you see errors in one? Are you prepared to do whatever kind of writing your industry requires? If you think you don’t need writing for every job, think again.

4. Communication Skills

Are you good at explaining your needs to your teammates? Does your boss understand you when you talk? Do you mumble? Can you project? Do you have public speaking skills? Can you represent your business to a potential client successfully?

5. Ability To Work Well With A Team

Can others rely on you? Can you use your teammates' strengths to help yourself and the business succeed and use your own strengths to cover others’ weaknesses? Can you work with others to get a job done faster? Do you take others’ opinions into account? Can you use the experiences of your teammates to the group’s advantage?

6. Time Management

Are you reliable? Do you show up to work on time? Are you willing to stay late to see a project through? Do you plan your assignments in a fashion that allows you extra time at the end for revision? Do you build in extra time to your work in case an emergency happens? Can you balance work and personal life?

7. Clean Social Media

When people google you, what comes up? Would your profile picture represent your company well? Would you be comfortable showing all of your social media histories to your employer? These days, employers can legally ask for your social media logins to do some examining before hiring you. Plus, face recognition technology makes it easier than ever to label people in not only their own photos but photos that may have been taken of them without their knowledge.

8. Real-World Knowledge

Have you read up on what your industry requires of you? Do you know the vocabulary that might come with your job? Do you know the names of all of your superiors at the company? Do you know of examples of both successes and failures in your industry? Do you know why they failed or succeeded?

9. Real-World Experience

Have you put any of that knowledge into action? Have you worked somewhere already that has given you the skills you need to confidently do the job? Have you had your fair share of ups and downs so that you aren’t phased when they happen to you on the job? Do you know what to expect?

10. Global Awareness

Are you aware of what’s going on in the world around you? Can you work in the same industry no matter where your job may take you? Can you adapt your skills to fit the cultural norms of other countries that your business may work in? Are you prepared to work with employees that don’t share your same background? Can you look at them the same way you would look at your superiors? Can you work as a global employee?

Having all ten of these skills makes you a competitive and well-rounded prospect. Employers won’t see you as any form of a risk, and will likely be impressed with you. If you answered “yes” to most of these questions, you’re ready for the big leagues.