Grades Don't Define You. God Does

Grades Don't Define You. God Does

You aren't your grades.

1693
Grades Don't Define You. God Does
Zara Trigg

Most of us have about a month of school under our belt. And if you feel anything like me, it might feel somewhat like drowning. Maybe you used to be an A student, with that 4.0 grade point average, and now you feel like you're fighting for B's and C's. Maybe you were an average student to start, and now you feel like a failing student. We all wonder how we're going to stay afloat. But somehow, each day passes, and we're still here.

But I want you to know one thing: You aren't your grades.

Grades can suck. Especially as students, we feel defined by them. We feel as our life depends on them. If we don't do well enough, will we get into that law school, graduate school, or medical school that we're dreaming of? Are we going to get that job we're hoping for? Or will our grades not be enough? Will we be enough?

Although grades matter, they are not what define you. Yes, you should work hard. You should try to get good grades. But sometimes, no matter how hard you work, you might still feel like you're falling short. When you define yourself with your grades, you fall into a giant trap. Because guess what? Your grades will never be enough. You can't always be perfect.

Your identity is not to be found in your grades. But then what is it is supposed to be found in? I'm happy to know that my grades don't define me, but instead, God does. God loves me despite my failures. In Psalms 37:23-24, the Bible says, "The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand." God might let us stumble, which often means failure, but he won't drop us. He has His hand on us.

I can say this, and quote the Bible to back it up, but I know it is still difficult to believe. Every time I fail, I doubt my future success. Will I still be able to achieve success? But every time, I realize God teaches me through it. I have learned that learning sometimes comes through failure. Failure reminds me that my identity is not my failure. Why would you put your identity in something that is always changing? You might have good grades one day, and bad ones the next.

But God is steady. He doesn't change day by day. He stays faithful and powerful every day, no matter the circumstances. I would much rather put my hopes in something more steady than my grades. I am not my grades.