You Are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine

You Are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine

"You make me happy when skies are gray"
33

The call. The moment everyone dreads. The moment no one wants to experience.

I remember it clear as day. I was on my way to work, driving without a care in the world. I was listening to the radio and I remember a certain song came on. I had never heard of it before, but since I'm always looking for new music to listen to, I didn't change the station. I recall some of the lyrics that will stay with me forever:

"Just stop your crying, it's a sign of the times

Welcome to the final show

Hope you're wearing your best clothes

You can't bribe the door on your way to the sky

You look pretty good down here

But you ain't really good"

Looking back at it now, I realize it was a sign. Not a minute later I get a call telling me that you weren't doing so well... and that you wouldn't be able to bounce back from it this time. I didn't know what to think. I tried to stay strong. I don't really think I fully comprehended that it was really happening; I still don't. It doesn't feel real.

Looking back on all the memories is really bittersweet. I remember you always teasing me and calling me your "Miss P.i.t.t," and your "pain in the petunia." (I was a good kid, I promise). I remember you letting me help you cook every time you made fried chicken because I loved to help you (and of course you made the best chicken). I remember how we had the same beloved connection to angels and books and you always gave me some that you had owned. I also remember how you would sing "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine" to me and my siblings... Bittersweet doesn't even begin to cover it.

You were always so upbeat and happy. You always had a smile on your face. You never let me or anyone for that matter feel as though they were alone in this world or that they weren't understood or accepted. That was the true beauty in you. You were a gift to this world that not many people have the chance of receiving.

I always came to you about my problems, whether it be good or bad. You always gave me your best advice and were always there to comfort me. You were so good to me and everyone you came across. You were always a friend to everyone, never a bully nor a stranger. You were so full of love and care, anyone that met you couldn't help but love you back. You have a lot of people that love you Granny, and I know you know that.

It was hard to see you go. It still is, but we all know that you are finally at peace. You fought so hard and for so long. It was admirable. You fought until you couldn't anymore. You truly deserve the peace you have now received. I know I didn't call enough or come visit you enough because I was trapped in my own busy little world, but I will never take the memories I have of you for granted. I will cherish every little sign, memory, and thought of you. Words cannot describe the impact you have made on my life. With you, I have learned to open my heart and to love with all I have. You influenced me to be the best person I could possibly be, but to always hold my own. You make me and everyone that has met you proud to have had you in our lives. And if I haven't already, I hope to make you proud of who I am and where I'm going in my life. I know that you may not be with us in body, but you definitely will be with us in spirit and soul.

I don't know where you are Granny. Whether it be Heaven, Elysium, just in our hearts, or among the stars, just know that you will be missed dearly and that you are loved by many.

You will always be my sunshine Granny, but now you are also my angel.