Be Your Own Hero

Be Your Own Hero

Instead of looking for what I didn't have in someone else, I started finding what I do have that others don't.

292
Taylor Caponigro

You are a hero. Too often, we justify who our heroes are. We acknowledge celebrities, athletes, and even family members as people we call our heroes.

But, the real fact of the matter is you don't need to search for someone to be your hero, be your own kind of hero. There is hero material within you, stop searching for it in others.

Find the hero in you.

I can't help but recall all the times I was asked who my hero was. I swear I changed my answer every time. I could never pick between mom or dad because, in reality, they were both my heroes. I never could choose the right celebrity because I thought anyone famous was heroic.

Then I started to wonder... why are people always asking me who my hero is? Why do I need to have a hero? Why do I always have to look up to someone other than myself? Can I not be proud of the good qualities I have rather than be disappointed in the ones I lack?

I stopped defining who my hero was. I stopped jumbling to reconsider who my hero could be as the years went on. I defined my hero as an individual that had something that I didn't, but wanted to strive for their qualities.

So instead of looking for what I didn't have in someone else, I started finding what I do have that others don't.

It's nice to have people you admire. I definitely have many heroes in my life that are irreplaceable, but I have also found the hero within myself and I suggest you do the same.

The next time you're asked who your hero is, you don't have to choose anyone other than yourself even though mom and dad are always great options too!