Yes, I'm A Sorority Girl

Yes, I'm A Sorority Girl

I am not the negative stereotype.

17
Yes, I'm A Sorority Girl
Clip Art Kid

Let me start by saying that I never planned on joining a sorority. I was under the impression that sororities were meant for other girls, girls that were more popular or better looking than I. I did not understand what sororities were like until I went through formal recruitment. I have learned so much about myself and others from being a part of my sorority. I have learned more about patience, kindness, and leadership from my sisters than I have in many other aspects of my life. I only have brothers at home, so being in a sorority has been an entirely new experience for me. One of the first things I learned when I joined my sorority was the amazing array of leadership opportunities in store for it’s members.

Leadership is an immensely important aspect of living a full life. One must have the capacity to be able to lead themselves and others in a situation demanding it, as life is full of them. I choose to be a leader everyday in my own life, and this is also an important part of being in a sorority. So many of these women are involved in activities all across campus, as well as outside of my college. Keeping a sorority running smoothly involves constant communication between all of the members, and that could not happen without leaders within my sorority.

Before joining my sorority, I had some leadership experience from being a section leader in show choir, but nothing as impactful as I see these women accomplish on a daily basis. I learned more about communicating and expressing my ideas through my sorority than I have in other aspects of my life. I know my sisters will support me through my life, and in decisions I make for my future. I love belonging to a group that is so willing and able to help each other succeed in any way we can. I love being able to feel as though I can speak about my problems to any of my sisters, and feel that they will be able to ease my mind about whatever issue I am facing. Sometimes I need a sister to vent to when I have had a bad day, and other times I need a sister to help me decide whether a class is right for me. I have sisters that will help me with anything and everything.

I have never felt excluded in my sorority, and that is super important for me. I have been involved in activities in the past where I have felt like an outsider to the group, but never in my sorority. My sisters helped me make friends quickly at my college, and I don’t know where I would be without their support. I watch them lead in their various roles, in athletics, activities, and academics. I want to tell my sisters about my accomplishments, and I know they will share their own.

This is my first semester living in the house, but I already know what to expect. I will never be the only one up late at night, I probably won’t be the earliest to wake up in the morning either. Regardless of my time, I know I will never be alone in the house. I will always have a sister to talk to, and to laugh with. I cannot wait to see what else my sorority brings me, as well as what the sorority can bring my wonderful sisters. I share a bond with them that I will never share with anyone outside of this sisterhood.

Sisters help one another, and sisters lead each other into their best selves. I am accepted in this house, I am celebrated. I feel more comfortable leading in more aspects in my life, and this has given me the confidence I need in order to succeed. As of this summer, I am the editor-in-chief of a branch of Odyssey. I help to recruit members, to share ideas, and to edit aricles. I don’t think that I would be able to do this as well if I had not been exposed to such amazing leadership in my sorority. My sorority does not only give me support in college, but also beyond. I have made friends for a lifetime, and a network of ladies I can communicate with for always. I love being in this wonderful sisterhood, and I know I will forever be proud to call myself a member of this wonderful chapter.