New Years Resolutions: The Good, The Bad, And The Broken

How to Keep and Revisit the New Years Resolution You Might Have Already Broke

432
Photo by NordWood Themes on Unsplash

It is only a few weeks into the New Year.

It is only a few weeks into this year of new opportunities, new successes, new you; and, you have already broken your resolution. It must have been too hard, it must have been too unrealistic, and you must not have been ready to make the change. It’s okay, you’re human, and of course, there is always next year. This is what you tell yourself.

But, with this line of thinking, next year will come, and the same events will happen. You will continue to fail, continue to make excuses, and you will continue to be disappointed that you did not reach your expectations. Yet, it doesn’t have to be this way. If you want to finally break the chain of failure, then you must create a resolution that is both seemingly impossible and totally realistic.

Sounds completely contradictory, right? Well, not exactly. 2018 is your year, and if you dare to keep reading, I am going to teach you exactly how you are going to make it happen.

A resolution is essentially a goal. A goal to be better, do better and reach a new height that you have never achieved before. It is necessary, when you create your resolution, that it is something that seems almost impossible.

The limitations that you think are in front of you are actually determined by you, by your mind. If you want to lose weight, but think it’s impossible to lose weight, then you will never be able to do it. Your mind will create excuses and reasons as to why it simply will not happen. You’ll decide that maybe you have bad genes, or you hate working out, or you really don’t like healthy food.

However, if you decide that you can lose weight, your mind will create excuses and reasons as to how you are going to make it work. You may decide that, although you do not like to run very much, there are other exercise options that are enjoyable.

And, although you may not like certain healthy foods, there are some dishes that are quite delicious. By setting a resolution that seems like it will be out of reach, you are already working towards it because your mind begins to create ways to achieve it.

Once you decide to do something out of your comfort zone, something that before 2018 you might not have considered pursuing, you have already conquered the most difficult part. You have agreed, without maybe even knowing, to believe in yourself. Now, you have to make a plan to fulfill this belief. You have to be realistic in the manner in which you are going to arrive at your resolution.

If you are going to decide to lose weight, you cannot say that in your first workout, you are going to run five miles because that is not going to happen. By creating a plan that is too difficult for your current self, you will become discouraged. You will fail and your continued failure will hinder your future endeavors to try again.

As an alternative, you might aim to run or walk one mile your first day or workout and add a little distance or speed with each day. You realistically create a layout for what you know your body can achieve. No dream is too big; however, it is the persistent, small steps that will keep you on track and motivated.

The final key to keeping and renewing these resolutions is to simply keep going. One day, you might give in and eat the chocolate cake, but that doesn’t mean the entire effort is over. It means you made a mistake. You cannot just stop the rest of the resolution because of a slip-up. The next day, you wake up and you try again.

Because the moment you submit to quitting, you will never be able to pursue what you set out to do. At a point in time, you believed that you could achieve this goal. Understand that it will not be easy and there will be mishaps, but it is how you respond to them and keep pushing that will allow you to follow through with those resolutions that you think you already broke.

We are only a few days in. If you gave up, start again tomorrow. And, if you have yet to begin, wake up with a vengeance. You keep saying that 2018 is going to be your year. You say that you will be unlike ever before. So, in order to this, what new steps are you going to take that you have never dared to encounter in the past?