Writing As A Career

Writing Is More Than Just A Hobby

It's something that I want to make a part of my career.

88
Writing Is More Than Just A Hobby

As a second-semester freshman who spent most of their first year in college as an undecided major, I can say that I have explained what I was considering doing and then receiving feedback as to what others believed that I should be doing many times. Now, I finally have an idea of what I want to do, but it's not a plan that many people agree with.

I have finally decided that I want to double major, which seems to impress a lot of people. That is until I tell them that one of those majors would be professional writing.

I have answered the question, "So, what do you plan to do with that?" more times than I can count, and I'll admit, it is a fair question. I think that many people are under the impression that writing is just something to do on the side; it isn't viewed as something to make a career out of.

To me though, writing is so much more than just a hobby. When I write, I'm not just doing it for fun. I do it to voice my thoughts and express my emotions. While some people turn to exercise or music when they are stressed, I turn to writing. It never fails to make me feel better after a long day.

I get where people are coming from, though. I know how difficult it is to make it as a writer and how dedicated I have to be to make sure that I end up in a career that offers me financial stability. But I also know how rewarding it would be to find myself in a career that suites me perfectly rather than one that only offers me monetary gratification.

I'm hoping that my love for writing can translate into a career in law in the future, which would both suit my interests and offer me the financial support that I need. Wherever I end up though, I'm hoping that my love for writing can extend beyond just a hobby, because to me, it's so much more than that.