Writing Letters In The Age Of Technology

9
stocksnap.io

Many personal friends of mine know that I have a high value for the time and effort I put into writing letters and calligraphy. From choosing stationary that is "just right", to waiting to hear from your friends that they got your letter, this tried-and-true form of communication has come to be one of the most important things in my life. In retrospect, I have learned more from it than just how difficult the U.S. Postal Service can be. Here are a few reasons I still appreciate "snail mail".

1. Communication becomes much more custom.

No hate to emojis, but one of my favorite parts of writing letters is that each one I write is personal and unique. From the texture of the paper to the stamps to the thickness of the ink, each piece of each correspondence is intentional and special, and thus allows me to convey much more than I could in a text.

2. Waiting for a letter is just as thrilling as waiting for the UPS truck.

There is an appreciation and convenience to be found in the instant gratification of texting. But when I am waiting for a letter (or waiting to hear from the recipient saying they received it at all), I have one more part of my week to look forward to. Everyone loves getting a letter in the mail.

3. It's uncommon, and that conveys emotion.

You don't need me to tell you that the use of the post office has drastically decreased since we reached the heights of phone calls, emails, and texting. Actively choosing to put the extra effort into a letter in endearing, and a great way to tell the recipient that the message was sent with love.

4. It's a beacon of hope.

My circle of people consists of some who do not consistently have the leisure or ability to send a text or even use a phone. For both those recipients as well as myself, letter communication symbolizes perseverance and consistency in circumstances that we might not otherwise that if it weren't for those letters.

5. You gain an immaculate value for the appearance of your signature.

When I'm at the doctor's or signing a check to give someone my money, putting my John Hancock next to an X bears little excitement. With letters, you get to practice on what your official give of permission looks like.

6. You can do it anywhere, anytime.

WiFi and cell service are no longer requirements for you to reach out to your loved ones. Find a mailbox, and you're good.

7. It's a vintage-lovers perfect Saturday night.

As a fan of aspects or older eras, my stationary supplies renders me a time traveler of simpler ways, relishing in a nostalgia I never had to know. Soon into your journey with calligraphy and sending letters, you'll develop a certain appreciation for a time in which letters were the fastest way of communicating, and I think that's pretty neat, to put it simply.

8. It's a tranquil balance of leisure and productivity.

I find solace in letter writing. For me, it's not strenuous or a stressful task. That being said, it's often something I either start or end the day with, as a method of unwinding, as if there's a deep breath in every stroke of my pen. But unlike watching TV or playing Xbox, I can loosen my tie and maintain communication and relay information while I relax.

9. They turn into keepsakes.

I've spent many times scrolling through text conversations and taking screenshots of meaningful messages. I've spent just as much time wishing I could tangibly hold them. when the information in a letter is no longer relevant, it transpires into a memento of the cause, intent, or rarity of the reason it was sent. Now a collectible, your letters can be easily accessed at your leisure.

10. They grow as much as you do.

Your handwriting, signature, and vocabulary are all personal traits that develop with age, development, and personal growth. Your letters contain overt notions of your progress both in their format and content, and can often serve as a reminder of just how far you've come.

Send a letter to someone you care about, even if it's just one. More likely than not, they'll treasure it far above a text or email.