12 Tips For The Writer Who Feels 'Blocked'

Is a writer who can't write anything, still a writer?

237
Photo by Steve Johnson on Unsplash

After writing fiction and non-fiction for nearly ten years now, I like to think of myself as a master procrastinator, but sometimes I do legitimately suffer from a "block" in my creativity. Whenever I've tried to write anything at all, my fingers seize and I wonder: Why am I doing this? What happens when I run out of ideas? Am I saying anything worth the effort of writing it, or are other people reading it? Haven't other people said it better than me? Can I even write well? Why can't I come up with any decent ideas?

For myself, I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but here are a few tips for when you reach the point that such questions keep you from writing.

1. Go outside

Don't chain yourself to your keyboard and force yourself to make words, because that probably won't work.

I will be the first to admit that I do not like to go outside. Particularly in the sweltering summer months in Arizona, I hate leaving my cold dark room for anything, especially for anything unnecessary. Even still, I have to make sure that I go places for fun, like to the movies, or shopping, or to a new restaurant. I enjoy being in my own headspace, but it's also important to get out of it and to be stimulated by the world around me.

2. Take a break or waste some time

Whether that means taking a short break or a longer break, it's important to take some time away from writing. Don't even permit yourself to think about the thing you're writing, or do. Just don't actually write. Do something you know you do when you're being lazy (I watch a lot of YouTube and read articles online) and simply enjoy that time. Just make sure it refreshes you and that you eventually come back to writing.

3. Get a different perspective

Whether that means going on a trip or switching writing spots (I personally alternate between my bed, several cafes, and the library), sometimes "getting a different perspective" may mean getting into a different atmosphere, or it may mean visiting a different city. Do what is within your means, but sometimes a change of scenery can work wonders for creativity.

4. Read. A lot.

Reading seems to naturally teach us how to write better. When you've run out of words, immerse yourself in a well-told story, or several. Consider reading something just for entertainment. It can take a lot of reading to produce something substantial, especially if you're working on a longer project like a novel.

5. Keep a writing journal

One way to hone your craft is to take notes. Consider reading about the writing processes of other writers and summarizing what you learned. Write journal entries in which you try to be as honest as possible about your progress, your thoughts, and what you want out of writing. I carry a journal around with me wherever I go to take notes in or to jot down story ideas. Sometimes I write bad poetry in them.

6. Write something for yourself

Sometimes, writers get so focused on producing work for readers that they lose track of why they actually write, and this is simply because they enjoy it. Whether it's a poem, a short story, or a personal essay, try writing something because you want to. It doesn't have to be shown to anyone; it just has to be fun to write.

7. Channel your creative energy into something else

I find sometimes that drawing helps me to take a break from writing while still getting my creative energy out. To me, creative activities like drawing and practicing an instrument provide more tangible and satisfying results than writing usually does.

8. Permit yourself to write badly

The worst stage of writing is when every. Word. Is. Pain.

Sometimes even when you feel inspired to write, it somehow turns out terribly. Essentially, any creative endeavor churns out mostly garbage. This is what editing and re-writing are for. It's easier to simply acknowledge this and let yourself write badly if you must. Writing something is better than writing nothing.

9. Clean something

Whether it's the dishes or your room or yourself, try cleaning something. When your mind is idle and you're doing something physical and immediately rewarding, it leaves room for your mind to wander and get some inspiration.

Some of my most inspired moments and fiction pieces have come while doing the dishes or while in the shower. It also helps some people to feel productive when their workspace and selves are clean and orderly. A well-kept house, office, and self can make all the difference if motivation is the issue.

10. Get involved in a community

I can never pass the yearly NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) challenge in November without going to write-ins and meeting other writers. When I'm in a productive community of like-minded people, I am surrounded by those who are going through the same writing-related struggles, by those who understand and by those who can give me good advice. Consider joining or finding such a community in your city or university or by attending a creative writing class, because it makes a huge difference.

11. Always be writing

Even on the days you don't feel that you have anything decent to say, write about your day and about your general thoughts. Set a manageable goal of 300-500 words per day, minimum. As long as you write anything, you're practicing, and that's still worth something.

12. Write about writer's block

Either write about your block or about the concept in general. I'm writing about that very subject right now, and it is helping me to get over my own blocks. Try thinking of what inspires you and what conditions created your best work. If you're held back by fear, confront it by being honest with yourself. Give yourself advice, follow it, and then come back to write again.

And consider this: It's only a block if you give it the power to be one.

Because even when you feel drained, you're still a writer at heart, still feeling that need to make something out of words that has meaning. Writers create something from nothing, and the energy that uses needs to be replenished. It's impossible to create great things all of the time, and everyone's creative process is different.

In pursuing writing, it's important to remember to step back from it, breathe, socialize, and generally take care of yourself. If you need it, maybe get away from social media a while to get away from the idea of being a "writer" and actually practice being one. That's probably the only cure to the fabled "block".