When You Have Writer's Block, The Struggle Is Way Too Real

Sometimes the words just don't come out.

32
Nick Morrison

If anyone has ever done any type of writing, whether it be professionally, academically or just for fun, you most likely have encountered the one thing all writers hate, the thing we dread more than anything – writer's block. Yes, the drought of relevant ideas or ability to actually form cohesive thoughts that make even a remote amount of sense. I know it’s something I’ve struggled with time and time again. So I figured, why not write about the ability to not be able to write. Ironic, huh?

Writing has never been my strong suit growing up. Math was my thing, my go-to. I always liked writing, but something just didn’t click and I honestly was not very good. Then in freshman year of high school, I had a teacher who changed everything. I can’t tell you what it was, because I don’t even know myself. But something she did just made me fall in love with writing, with the ability to convey meaning and feelings with your words, especially in a way that was actually effective, unlike my previous “writing skills.”

However, as the years have gone by, mostly with me writing for amusement, no matter how much you love writing, or how easy it comes to you, or how many ideas you have, it sometimes is just impossible to combine all those ideas into a direction that is actually relevant.

As I sat down to write my article, I had a list of ideas, all of which are things I have a lot to say about. But no matter how many items are on my list or how many thoughts run through my head, I had that moment where nothing is coming out. You just stare at the screen, fingers on the keys, and wait. And wait. And wait. Patiently waiting for something, anything that will make your fingers hit those keys and actually produce words.

I have to be honest with you. Sometimes, it doesn’t happen. Those words don’t come and next thing you know, it’s 2 hours later and all that’s on the screen is your name.

And it stinks to have the creativity and flow come to a complete halt; to have the inability to use words. Sometimes this leads to less-than-stellar work. Yes, I am guilty of this. Sorry editors. I promise I try.

But the truth is that sometimes you just can’t think of anything. Writer’s block is a real thing. What I’ve come to realize is that even if you can’t think about how to make an idea make any sense, it’s okay. Take a break. Do something you enjoy and then come back to it. Writing should be a joy, not a hassle.

If you’re struggling from the graveyard of ideas that is writer's block, you will overcome, eventually. If you write your stream of thoughts, even if they are completely random, you’re still writing. You’re offering an insight into your thoughts and opinions, your story, which at the end of the day is what writing is about.

It doesn’t always have to be perfect or this perfectly blended concoction of long, eloquent words that majority of people have no idea what they mean. Or complex ideas that someone needs a roadmap to follow. No, no. It can be simple, and real, and authentic. It can be you.

Don’t let writer's block keep you from writing. Let it motivate you, or even be your inspiration. Writing has endless possibilities, you just have to step back sometimes to see them.