If You Have Experienced Writer's Block, Trust Me, You Aren't Alone

We all have creative and great ideas in our heads so it is okay to be in a rut, occasionally.

22
Westend61

Writer's block definition is a condition primarily associated with writing, in which an author loses the ability to produce work, or experiences a creative slowdown. A lot of us have experienced “writer’s block” at some point. It usually happens whenever you are trying to write an essay and you realize you have no idea what you want to say. If you are a creative writer you have probably experienced it as well. You are at first on a roll and then suddenly you don’t remember what to do next and your characters stand there staring at each other. I can say I have experienced writer's block, in fact I wasn’t sure what to write for this week’s article and thought to myself “wow, I have writer's block”, besides the “wow” I don’t normally say "wow" unless I am surprised.

So, when you have writer's block, why not write about writer's block? I mean is there any rule that says a writer can’t talk about the fact that they have no idea what to write about? We all have creative and great ideas in our heads so it is okay to be in a rut occasionally. Most the time we just need to get perspective or inspiration which can come at you in any given time. You could be eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and then all the sudden realize how you want the book you are writing to end or realize that you do know what to say on your photosynthesis paper. Or maybe you will realize you don’t want to write about photosynthesis, you want to write about reforestation. I, for one have already done two different papers on reforestation, does that make me a reforestation master? Probably not, I am terrible at keeping a flower alive, let alone replant trees.

I feel writer's block has a lot more to it and you can relate it to almost everything in life. Sometimes you can get life block where you just think “wow I have no idea what to do with my life” and that’s okay because eventually you will figure it out. Just like eventually you will figure out what you want to write about. It is okay to not have all the answers because no one knows all the answers of every question in the entire universe. So, it is okay to have writer's block except probably during finals when you have a final paper due the next day, which I’m sure a lot of college students will be experiencing. Hang in there! Take a break from the word document, google document, type writer or whatever you use. Try to get some inspiration, do a little research, do a little dance and do not stress. In fact, annoy every single one of your neighbors and scream “I got this!” and then enjoy the “Shut up!” back. Who knows maybe your neighbors screaming at you will give you inspiration.

Whether “writer's block” is an actual thing or an excuse you use when you have no idea what to write about, everyone gets it, which means you are not alone. I bet all the famous writers out there have had writer's block at one point. I wonder what writers like Mark Twain or Edgar Allan Poe did when they had writers block…maybe they just paced back and forth… yeah I’m sticking with that. You never know, it may help, they do it a lot in movies. I say if you have writers block give it a try. Start pacing back and forth and startle your roommate, family, cat or whoever you live with.

My last advice for when you are experiencing writer's block is just clear your mind and breathe. Start writing out random things and ideas that come to mind. Even if the word “cotton candy” comes to your head still write that down; write everything down. Your idea will come to you when you least expect it and then your paper, novel, memoir will be astonishing.

Good luck and keep writing.