To Those Who Keep Switching Their Major, You'll Find The One

Do you feel like you can't decide on just one major and have many interests? Let me tell you my story.

233

I have switched my major five times and I'm only a junior.

All throughout high school I felt pressured to decide what I wanted to do for the rest of my life at 17. Shoot, I didn't even fully know myself at that age so how was I supposed to decide then? I wanted to do Law, and then I switched to Journalism, next onto Event Management/Planning, followed by Marketing, and now I have committed to Business Education. And to be honest, if you were to tell me when I was 17, 18, or even 19 years old that I would end up in education, I would have never believed you.

Lots of things in my life have drastically changed over the years and I have grown as an individual. The person I was at the beginning of college is not the same person I am now. I have many interests that vary across the board and that is why I struggled for so long to find what I truly want to pursue.

I had to dive deep into myself and ask, what do I truly want? What can I compromise and what can't I? What have I consistently loved and had a passion for throughout much of my life? I didn't want to settle on just one, I knew I wanted something to encompass my whole self.

I did a lot of self-discovery over the past year by learning to love who I was as well as get to know myself. I tuned in more to how I felt towards things, whether that was likes or dislikes, and invested more time into the things I enjoyed. Life is just too short to be wasting it on things that don't make you happy.

You have to make this decision for yourself. This is not your parents' decision, your friends' decision, your advisor's decision, or anyone else but YOU.

Pick the choice that will make you feel the most fulfilled.

I don't think I am done growing nor done discovering my passions, but I now have a career that will allow me to incorporate many of these passions. I can continue to write, teach the business concepts I love, inspire students, wear my fun outfits, have a flexible schedule with summers off, and be in charge.

This journey should be fun, exciting, and also challenge you. If it isn't those things, change it up. Do your research and again, do this for you. Enjoy where you are at and look forward to what's in store. It's going to all work out in the end.