June 8: Why You Should Celebrate World Oceans Day

The ocean is calling for our help, and it is time we answer.

23
Tyler Guyot

Everyone should believe in something. I believe in the ocean. I believe in deep, blue waters that stretch for thousands of miles beyond anything we can see, waters that heal, support, strengthen and exhilarate humanity. I fully intend to believe in this for the rest of my life, so we must ensure the preservation of the waters that surround us.

What is World Oceans Day?

World Oceans Day is a time for the world community to come together and celebrate our oceans. Today, we commend these big blue bodies of water for the life they bring to us in hopes of mustering up even a fraction of reciprocation for all of the amazing things the oceans provide us. Today, and for all the days to come, we must keep our oceans clean and healthy and set a precedent for the worldwide community about the importance and substantialness of our oceans.

What is happening to our oceans?

Tides are changing. The oceans are undergoing massive transitions-- and not in a good way. Coral reefs around the globe are enduring bleaching, which occurs when they lose their color, turning white due to warm waters and toxins. Coral is a home for many animals and is part of the largest living organism on Earth. Bleaching can be found stretching from Australia's Great Barrier Reef to the Caribbean and Hawaiian islands.

Littering is slowly but surely killing our sea animals.

Overfishing is another large issue that is within our control. As we feed ourselves with luxurious seafood and have exotic pets, we are damaging our ecosystems.

However, something that is not within our control is El Niño. This climate phenomena occurs from weakened trade winds, creating warms waters at unusual levels. This warming is creating uninhabitable living conditions for animals due to the development of toxic algae and the change in the underwater ecosystem. Pollution is only making things worse.

Why should we care?

Here are just a few things the ocean does for us: it generates the most oxygen we breathe. It feeds us. It regulates global climate. It provides us with transportation and jobs and plays a big role in our economy. Most importantly, it inspires us, our adventures and our way of life.

By taking steps, big or small, the world can and should come together in the honor of our seven seas to preserve them for generations to come.

Here's what we can do:

1. We can strive to be further educated about the changes occurring in terms of the climate and the ocean. By connecting ourselves to the ocean, we place importance on protecting them.

2. We can integrate ocean-safe products that will not harm marine life, such as Microbrewery's edible six-pack rings versus the plastic ones, which sea creatures regularly get tangled in. We can also stop using straws and other small plastic products that get caught in the nasal cavities of these creatures.

3. We can participate in local coast cleanups.

4. We can make changing our ways a conscious effort and be mindful of the ocean in our daily lives.

It will take time, and I know things won't change overnight. However, on this day, we devote our minds and hearts to protecting and bettering our Earth's oceans.

On his first SCUBA training experience, Adrian Grenier said it best:

"In those 48 hours, we learned to become guests of the ocean, to observe and wonder at our underwater environment, not to dominate or master it."

We are guests on this Earth, and it is important we act like it.