The World Has Its Eyes On Lin-Manuel Miranda

Miranda reaching out through Hamilton and beyond.

10
J'na Jefferson

Lin-Manuel Miranda. Does the name ring any bells? If you cannot remember him from the episode of "How I Met Your Mother" or "Modern Family," then you might remember him from the Broadway musical "Hamilton" that has been taking the world by storm.

This musical has been a dinner topic since its first release to Broadway on April 1, 2016. Since then everyone knows the name Alexander Hamilton and most importantly Lin-Manuel Miranda. He has been inflicting the hearts and minds of many, including myself who has not stopped listening to the Hamilton soundtrack since I was first introduced to it (I even think of myself as Peggy, the third Schuyler sister). This musical goes beyond the historical context but infuses hip-hop into the story of an immigrant who is young, scrappy, and hungry, trying to pave his way in the world.

However, this is not his first time on Broadway. His first musical “In the Heights,” is simply not given enough justice. The setting in his hometown, Washington Heights, New York, brings forth pride in his Latin American roots to bring a new and innovative atmosphere to Broadway in 2008.

Bringing his heritage to the stage, it allowed people to view it in its truest form, rather than a mere drive-by of the neighborhood. He brings the Latino community to heart and makes us fall in love with the storyline of the main characters Usnavi, Nina Rosario, Vanessa, and Benny as they do what they can to try and make it out of the barrio.

Since then, his love for music has taken him across the nation and now around the world. With new performances of Hamilton in Chicago and even London, Miranda is letting the world know his name. Miranda and others from the original cast have stepped down and to create a new cast comprised of actors and actresses such as Karen Olivo, from his first musical "In the Heights" and Jordan Fisher from "Grease: Live" to continue with his memorable diverse cast.

Miranda pushed through the Broadway scene with his musical prowess and involved himself in other projects. In September, he announced his involvement in "Moana," the new Disney princess movie which I am making sure I go see November 23rd. The new Disney princess, bringing the South Pacific to light, has Miranda composing the entire 40 song soundtrack.

Bringing forth Arabic culture with "Aladdin" and even African culture in "The Lion King," Miranda has helped invent a sound true to the Polynesian culture. Through the music and the movie, audiences will experience Polynesian culture beyond the history books. Miranda is an aficionado when it comes to making music colorless, adding fresh and innovative ways to mesh two completely different sounds into one melodious harmony.

Miranda has definitely not thrown away his shot. From "In the Heights" to "Moana," he is now dropping his biggest project yet: the Hamilton mixtape. This mixtape has been in Miranda's vault for years, even before the creation of his musical. Collaborations with musicians and rappers such as Chance the Rapper, Sia, John Legend and the Roots bring the world's brightest musicians from a wide array of talent all together on one glorious mixtape.

Lin-Manuel Miranda started out just like Hamilton: young, scrappy, and hungry. Now, with two musicals on his shoulders and a mixtape on the way, he has shown the world exactly what he is capable of. Miranda is letting the world know his name in new and refreshing ways. His unprecedented music style brings the world together as we all listen in awe to what he has to say.