Experiencing The World Cup As A Brazilian Is Irreplaceable

The World Cup in Brazil not only brings people together, but it makes the people feel proud and fulfilled to be a Brazilian citizen.

99
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/brazil-world-cup-jersey-154472

I was born in Tampa, Florida, but I was raised by the most authentic Brazilian parents. When people ask me where I'm from, I admit that I am American, but I never fail to mention that I am Brazilian by blood. Growing up, soccer has always been a fundamental discussion in my household, especially between my dad and two younger brothers. I'll be honest, I am the least athletic one at home since I have always been one more for the arts. However, as years went by, my dad and younger brothers successfully transferred the passion and thrill sentiment of the game onto me.

As they watched their favorite teams score goals, the three of them cheered on hard and proud around the house, jumping up and down, chasing after my mom and me, and thanking God for the goal. Hence why now, once the World Cup starts, my heart begins to beat in a new way. The five of us gather around the television to watch the epic players play the game, while a mixture of anxiety and excitement rushes through my body.

Although it wasn't until four years ago when I truly experienced the World Cup as a true Brazilian insider for the first time. You see, I have always known that soccer was basically the most important thing to most Brazilians, but I had never known or understood the thrill, the unification, and patriotism that the World Cup brings for the nation.

I saw the streets filled with graffiti street art; but instead of the typical vandalism that covers the streets, it was Fifa's art displaying Brazil's main colors. Art that drew soccer balls, Brazilian flags, goals, caricatures of some of the players on the team, and more.

On game days, I watched as the employees left work early and traffic swell the roads; the street bars became crowded and salgadinhos (typical fried Brazilian snacks) were being heated to set on the tables; families gathered in together and wore the colors blue, green and yellow splattered across their faces; kids ran around with soccer balls until the start of the game, and when it was finally time, the whole country froze while everyone's television screens turned on at the same time.

Once the game began, one could only hear the voice of the announcer; until the referee whistled, then everyone would scream- cursing at the referee or at the other team, regardless of who actually made the foul. As the game progressed, tension arose upon the nation, whether or not the team was winning.

Now if Brazil lost or even tied, the atmosphere of the country would intensify. Everyone's faces transformed from eagerly excited to gravely disappointed and heartbroken. Some would curse out at others and some fights would arise while others would shed tears.

But with every goal that Brazil made, the country's ground vibrated as millions of people jumped up and down, roaring in celebration; some men would kiss their wives, others would chug at their beers, kids would scream in happiness, and women would jump up and down in a rhythmic dance celebration.

Today, as the 2018 World Cup is taking place- I loyally cheer on Brazil with exhilarated energy like all of the Brazilians are doing in their country. Brazil may have tied their first game, but I have high hopes for my team and I will continuously wear their colors every day until the end.