Working At A Tourist Attraction Has Made Me Lose My Faith In Humanity

Be kind, have common sense, and get off your dang phone.

27
Space Needle

The Seattle Space Needle is one of the most iconic attractions in the entire nation. People flood in from all walks of life in order to take in the serene view that accompanies the Seattle skyline and far, far beyond. I have the great opportunity to work at the ground level with admissions, however, one thing I neglected to realize when I applied for this job was the amount of people that you deal with on a daily basis.

Here are 6 reasons why working at a tourist attraction has made me lose my faith in humanity:

1. You are not the only person in the world.

Guess what? Approximately 7,000 people come through the Space Needle each day...and that's on an average summer day. Just because you don't want to pay that extra two hours for the parking meter doesn't mean that I will automatically let you skip the entire line. Oh, you have restless kids? Maybe think about coming at an earlier time instead of two hours past their bed time. Wait time might not be ideal, but all we want is for the guests to have an amazing experience. Patience is a virtue, my friend.

2. Get off that dang phone.

The other day I was walking around the Observation Deck when I noticed something very worrisome for the sake of our humanity. Every single outlet was being used to charge someone's iPhone. You just paid over $100 for your family to come up here, yet you aren't even taking the chance the enjoy the reason you paid that much money. This takes me to a broader problem with society. When did this world became one in which taking two seconds to capture a moment on Snapchat became more significant than the actual experience itself? I could stand out there and stare at the city for hours, I don't need photographical evidence. That photo will only be around for 24 hours and then it escapes into the abyss of emptiness, is it worth it? Take more time to enjoy the tranquility of being 520 feet above the city and worry less about the fact that your phone is low on battery.

3. So. Much. Anger.

First off, you being angry is not going to make me accommodate to your every need like you are expecting. In fact, if you are nice to me, you have a much higher change of getting what you want. Plus it's just polite. My favorite people are the ones that understand what I have to stand out there for 8.5 hours a day and deal with you crazies. Those people have my heart. Just because you are causing a scene in front of masses of people, doesn't automatically guarantee that you will get what you want, it only makes everyone else uncomfortable. Take a dang chill pill.

4. Stop with the questioning.

Common sense is a virtue that I no longer take for granted. The other day I stood outside in the heat of summer as hordes of humans swarmed me with questions that could have easily been answered by simply looking at a sign or taking the time to think deeply for a second. Additionally, just because I work at a tourist attraction doesn't mean that I know exactly everything about the city. Sure, I can probably tell you which bus gets you to Westlake. No, I can't tell you exactly how long it will take you to get to the airport in rush hour traffic. I can't tell you the hours of the downtown Nordstrom. I can't tell you which building has just as good of a view as the Space Needle. As stated above, you do have an iPhone, put it to good use and get Yelp or Trip Advisor or Google.

5. I only speak English.

I am 100 percent American. I have lived in Washington my entire life. I don't know what it is that makes people think that I might speak Mandarin and Spanish and French and Russian, etc. I still struggle with understanding Irish and British accents. I still struggle with understanding local people because everyone talks so dang fast. I wish I understood more, but sadly there is only so much that a high school Spanish curriculum can do for me.

6. "Why you gotta be so rude?" --MAGIC!

I am not in charge of Space Needle prices. I do not decide how many people come to the Space Needle every day. I have no choice in what time is available to go up to the Observation Deck. I do not decide the weather. Everyone comes from different backgrounds, different countries, different lifestyles...it isn't my job to adapt to your every desire. No need to yell in my face, cuss at me, or blame me for something I can't control. Also, I did take four years of Spanish in high school and I also happen to understand teenage girl so I do partially know what you are saying under your breath and I am aware that you have been rolling your eyes at my me for the past 30 minutes.

I have so much more respect now for attractions like the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, and Disneyland. I hope one day that people understand how far a little common sense and kindness can go.