Working On Your First Campaign

Working On Your First Campaign

The three things you must remember to work more efficiently.

77
Working On Your First Campaign

As this is my first piece, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Zachary McCann. I was born south of Chicago and have lived primarily in either the South Side or in Homewood. My mother and father are a hardworking couple who raised my brothers and me to be hardworking, self-sufficient men in the modern era.

Along with my father and other generations of men who have served this country in the Armed Forces, myself and my brother enlisted in the Army and continue to serve. Operating in different worlds has allowed me to view this political climate and avoid its polarization for the most part. My father, who is the product of a liberal white woman from Michigan, and my mother, a proud African American woman from the South Side of Chicago, could not be any farther apart politically. Both have stressed that voting and being politically involved is your right as an American and this ideal has led me to work on campaigns and organizing our generation so it can be heard.

Now to the point of the article. Congratulations! You have been accepted to your first internship in college. Regardless of your field, there are a few truths to be remembered.

Schedule properly. I cannot stress this enough because you will feel overwhelmed when tasks are done at the last minute. Stress can lead to sloppy work and a lacking in professionalism in many aspects. Depending on what kind of internship you choose, your work performance will affect whether a positive recommendation will be written for your post-college plans. If you’re a person who waits until the last minute, start setting alarms and get a planner to help get into a pattern. You will find that once you get into a set schedule you have more free time than before.

Don’t be afraid to volunteer. On the campaign I am currently working, I was afforded the opportunity to move past phone calls and lit drops to actually setting up events and coordinating between colleges. I had been wanting a chance to prove myself and possibly land a paid position. Work hard and be aware of opportunities that can interest you. Only take what you can handle though. Finding a balance is hard but never forget why you’re there–that extra motivation will help.

This last point is specifically politically related. Make sure you pick a campaign that balances personal values but you feel can win. Although this nation has forgotten how to compromise, it has helped in the past to bring progress at a consistent and gradual rate. Only a small percentage of voters agree with 100 percent of a candidate’s talking points, but compromising with yourself will help you guide a campaign at any level. There is no reason to miss out on chances to expose yourself to the world, because of a refusal to budge on policy and engage in discourse. America is not one person, but rather, a nation of over 100 languages and ethnicities.