The Working Generation

The Working Generation

The under-employed, the over-employed and the in-between.

8
The Working Generation
The Credit Solution Program

There are two distinct categories of people in college: those who work their asses off for what they want and those who are still spoon-fed money by their nurturing parents. Don't get me wrong, there is a third category chock-full of kids who are searching for jobs harder than most unemployed adults, but the majority of a campus is either made up of the lazy unemployed or the hardworking over-employed.

Let's take a look at the lazy unemployed students first. These students are (most likely) the ones who never had a job in high school. Their parents made enough money to support their expensive taste, gas guzzling cars and less than healthy eating habits. Mom and dad have hundreds of dollars on hand at any given time to support their kid's habits in college as well. They pay tuition, pay for gas and pay for pretty much anything under the sun as long as their sweet baby is happy. These parents, in my opinion, are setting their children up for failure. These students are in college, blowing their meal plan money on snacks and disregarding the value of a dollar. I understand that shit happens. There are some students who take too many classes to have a job, too. This doesn't mean that they have to spend their parents' money like wild teenagers. There is a difference between deserving your money and using your parents for their money.

Now, on to the hardworking, over-employed students. These students deserve a round of applause. These students go to school and work their hind ends off. These students consider their "days off" making money to support themselves. These kids most likely worked their way through high school, and naturally found a job in college. Whether they work five hours a week or 30 hours a week, they are making something of themselves. I personally work three jobs along with taking 17 credit hours. This isn't an easy thing to do, but this isn't a pity party for me. I am here to tell you that every day is a struggle. Saving money for next year's rent is nowhere near desirable when people want to get dinner every single night of the week. I ask my mom for money when I need it because sometimes I just don't have enough time to work the preferred amount of hours a week. I wish, sometimes, that I could just stop working and freeload off of my mom for the rest of my life, but in doing that I could never move forward in life.

What about the in-between? The kids whose parents send them money, they work hard in all their classes and they are actively searching for a job. I give them the biggest round of applause. These students want so badly to find a job, and to work, but right now just isn't their time. These students don't borrow money from their parents because they are freeloaders, but because they truly need assistance. These are the people who know the value of a dollar, but don't have the means to make their own. This is OK. These students may even go further than those who work their butts off because they are fully focused on their schooling. Who knows?

Our generation, the millennials if you will, are definitely a working generation. Whether we are working our butts off, working on finding a job or working on expanding our closet full of expensive clothes with our parents money, we are all working toward something. Are you underworking or overworking yourself?