Working Through College Is Hard, But It's Worth It

Welcome to the real world, kid.

62

First off, my college experience is a lot different from most. While most have classes every day of the week, I only have classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. That leaves me plenty of time for work and for an internship somewhere. While I just finished my first semester of college, along with working and interning, I have learned a few important things through it.

Working while you're in school is hard. I know I may have more time for it, but it is even difficult for me so I applaud those who work while also going to school five days a week. It is fitting in shifts around your classes, around time for homework, around a sleep schedule and a social life.

It can be trying and tiring, but ultimately it is worth it. I am so thankful for the opportunity to work.

One, it helps me pay for college while also having some money in my own pocket. Two, it has helped me create a better work ethic. I feel that I have truly been thrown into the real world and it has helped me grow in maturity.

Third, it has helped me become better with time management. On top of all the shifts I work, I have classes. Though those are only two days a week, they still happen and I still need time for them and for the amount of homework that happens since we only meet once a week.

I also have an internship for a certain amount of hours during the week that I have to make time for. Working has helped me keep a planner to prioritize and keep everything straight.

It has taken away some stress since I have been able to plan it all out and organize it. It has taken away financial stress in the way that I know I will be able to have some money in my pocket and to help with school when I am paid.

Working has helped me feel like a real adult and feel responsible for myself entirely.

Sometimes I may not want to go to work and be there the entire time, but ultimately I am very thankful for the opportunity I have. I am thankful for what I have learned and the people I get to encounter each time.

Working while you're in school is hard. Classes and homework are hard enough as it is, I get it. But it is so worth it. You feel accomplished and there is a sense of pride that you get for yourself.