The F-word? A Taboo And Controversial Topic?

And yes, I do mean feminism...

144
Shaylee Navarro

Ohhh feminism. Such a sketchy and taboo topic that honestly can get anyone riled up. But with the recent Women’s Marches going on in the United States, it seems that feminism has been trending on this site for, unfortunately, negative reasons.

Hopping onto this site the other day, trying to figure out a new topic to write about, I automatically looked to the trending topics for inspiration. And seeing all of the anti-feminist articles, not to be dramatic or anything, but you know, filled with me dread and hopelessness.

Clicking on those articles, I was hoping to somehow understand this hate towards feminism, this hate towards equality, this disgust towards people fighting for their rights, but I can’t say I was in any form successful.

Let me start out by saying that yeah, maybe I am a bit biased. Me, an 18-year-old, latina, attending college only because of financial aid, coming from a family of immigrants, etc. Being a minority, specifically female, I believe that I have the right to simple basic, human rights.

So when I see your article, aimed at being anti-feminist-- stating that this whole feminist movement has got to chill, and you’re perfectly happy with the way things are, then dang, I start to question just how much privilege you grew up with, in the first place.

Yeah, maybe if you’re a white, middle-class female who has never had fear of persecution, you’re thinking that life is pretty good right now! But how about those other females that don’t fit that “perfect” race, class, gender category? You think they’re living their best life right now?

Women’s rights need to improve. We shouldn’t conform to think that this is “as good as its going to get”. You might be living the high life right now, but some people didn’t luck out as much as you did.

So yes, no one is judging you in whether you want to be a stay at home mom, want to have your partner support you, or don’t really care in having some sort of leadership position. Honestly, you do you. Live your life. I’m honestly not here to offend you.

But don’t instantly assume that if you want this life and if you are perfectly happy with how things are now, that everyone else feels the same way. Not everyone was born with the same privilege that you have.

So think of that first before you assume that there is no need for feminism. Don’t tell people that feminism needs to stop. I understand if you’re uncomfortable with the more extreme forms of feminism but, who are you to judge? If they are somehow hurting you or are in any way being offensive towards a specific race, class, identity, etc., then yeah, say something, educate them that what they’re doing is offensive.

But if none of the above is true, then let them be. Just as people aren’t judging you on whether you want to live a domestic life, don’t judge them on any life choices they make. What we are (and possibly only myself specifically) judging you on is your complete lack of empathy towards minority women.

Not a real big surprise with how this article is going but, I did attend the Women’s March in LA a few weeks ago, protesting with individuals who also believed in women’s rights and listening to speeches from women advocates and I have to say that I was pretty inspired and motivated.

But marching in that protest, I realized that, although everyone there did believe in rights for women, they did not really care about the rights of other minority groups. So, for example, whenever there was a speech or chant about the Black Lives Matter movement, DACA/immigration, Muslim women, transgender women, etc., let me just say, that there wasn’t as much enthusiasm from the crowd towards these topics.

And you know, what really upsets me, probably even more than anti-feminist ideas, are individuals who identify as feminists… but that’s pretty much the extent of their advocating towards human rights, specifically to minorities. To anyone who actually does this, take a moment to stop thinking only of yourself, ‘cause you know, I hate to break it to you, but you’re being a bit (note the sarcasm) selfish here.

Listen, if you’re a feminist, specifically a female feminist, you can’t just focus on your own rights. That’s just not how it works. You’ve got to recognize hardships from other minorities and understand that they also lack rights, possibly even more than that of women.

That's the concept of equity (in general, not just to the female gender). No gender, race, identity, class, education level, etc, is superior to the other, but in no way are they the same, each having different needs and resources to be successful. Be able to distinguish equity and equality, and understand that not everyone has lived with the same privelege that you've grown up with.