For The Love Of Words

For The Love Of Words

A lengthy list of some of my favorite words.

85
For The Love Of Words

I love words. I would happily accept the title of word nerd. The spelling, the sound, the meaning, the multitude of ways that you are able to pair them, oppose them, unite them. How they can be stronger than any physical force and yet more gentle than any loving touch. Words are a steady and constant source of fascination to me and I am always seeking to expand my vocabulary collection. My dream is to know every word in Webster’s or Oxford and to be eloquent in using each. Along the way of this wordage journey, I have picked up a few favorites for various reasons; some simple and insignificant, some substantial and meaningful. Enjoy the extensive, but much too brief, listing of some of my favorite words ever.

1. Ethereal- (extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world.)

This word could be used to describe the infamous Helen of Troy, the light that the Heavenly hosts give off when they are in our presence, or a street light in a certain novel plot that is to serve as a specific marker of symbolism and metaphorical importance. To me, the word itself embodies the definition that it has. The sound as your hear it and the feel as it slips across your teeth and lips as you say it evokes feelings of otherworldliness and exoticism. A beautiful, bright, swirling, Mount Olympus, Heavenly feel.

2. Frugal- (sparing or economical with regard to money or food.)

The first time I heard this word, I immediately connected with it. I loved how it made my brain feel and it seemed like a fantastic personality trait to have. The word transports me a warm coffee shop with brick walls and warm lighting in the fall, with the sharp scent of cinnamon and black coffee with a splash of creamy almond milk. I am tucked in a corner with a book, living simply, frugally, and consciously.

3. Inevitable- (certain to happen; unavoidable.)

This word as sharpness and certainty, but at the end it mellows out to allow us to feel as if there is still some control and hope in the situation that embodies this word. It has heartbreaking and powerful notes, but it is secretly forgiving. The syllables clamor together to make the word more intense than it is, but in reality, its' bark is worse than its' bite.

4. Goddess- (a female deity.)

Okay, fun word. I do not love this word just because I’m a sucker for Ancient Greek Literature, I just love the sensuality, power, femininity, and blinding control that this word wraps all into one force and throws at you directly and forcefully. Intoxicating. A goddess is power, not just a mythical being of beauty. She owns who is she is and doesn’t apologize, no matter what she stands for. Whether that be Aphrodite, goddess of love, marriage, and fertility, known for her mortal and divine affairs and unapologetic romantic escapades, or Artemis, the renowned virgin goddess of the hunt.

5. Tenacious- (tending to keep a firm hold of something; clinging or adhering closely.)

What are you if you do not have tenacity? The word itself sounds violent, jaw snapping, and ferocious, but the definition brings it back down to Earth because this word is really one who is calm, cool, and firmly in control. Do not let the slicing, slivery sound of it fool you. It is a guarded word, for it has to show the world just how tough it can pretend to be, to protect itself from the soft spots inside.

6. Vindicate- (clear (someone) of blame or suspicion.)

This word just gives you a feeling of relief and victory. I have been vindicated, set free, cleared of my wrongs and burdens. You can feel the metaphorical weights being lifted from your mind and soul; or at least I can.

7. Dwindle- (diminish gradually in size, amount, or strength.)

I like the way that this word looks. The “d” and the “w” next to each other is random and clunky, but perfect in its auditory aspect. The “indle” tacked on to the end makes it that much more odd, but completely cute. This word is the runt of the litter who captures your heart no matter how hard you try to not like it. It can also be used in both a positive and negative way, which I like, depending on what you are diminishing.

8. Witty- (showing or characterized by quick and inventive verbal humor.)

Wittiness is always my goal when conversing. It shows you have a sharpened mind, the ability to laugh at yourself, and are calculating at a level a bit higher than average. The word witty makes me think of Elizabeth Bennett, that is a witty soul if ever there was one. It is short and to the point, direct and interesting. Double “t” and an ending of the “e” sound; it embodies its definition.

9. Insatiable- ((of an appetite or desire) impossible to satisfy.)

This word is interesting because it doesn’t sound the way that it looks at first glance. “Insa(sh)iable”. When pronounced properly, it sounds frothy and luscious, with a streak of naughtiness; but that probably has to do with the fact that this word is connected to desire, regardless if the specifics.

10. Ineffable- (too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words.)

This word I learned in one of my 200-level English classes in relation to the poetry of Samuel Coleridge. If you doubt the meaning of this word, take a gander at this poet’s off the wall words; it will clear it up for you.

11. Plethora- (a large or excessive amount of something).

A seemingly dramatic word for a simple definition, but it works. You can use this word to describe anything, no matter how simple, and sound like a cool vocabulary buff. It is your friend and wingman, or woman, and is there for you when you need an impressive word. Unique and easy to remember.

12. Superfluous- (unnecessary, especially through being more than enough.)

The sound and spelling of this word speaks for itself. It makes me think of spinning cotton candy. It is completely unnecessary, more than what you bargained for, and “fluous”-like.

13. Dichotomy- (a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different.)

This has a sort of medical lingo tinge to it in the way that it sounds, but it can totally be used in every day talk. Versatile words are the best words.

14. Imperturbability- (someone that is not easily upset, angered or affected; a sense of calm.)

This person must really be a calm person to not be stressed out by the word they are defined by, for it is a long one. However, that is the beauty of this word. It looks complex, long, and difficult, but the meaning of it is quite the opposite. Never judge a word by its' letters.

15. Verbose- (using or expressed in more words than are needed)

Also known as: the best compliment ever. This is my goal. To know so many words that I have to use them all because you just can’t pick one! The word “verb” is in a word about words. Words on words on words. Hurrah!

There are so many more words that I adore; whimsical, hyacinth, nethermost, misanthrope, bemoan, superlative, wily, ephemeral, bourgeois, poised, thwart, tirade, and alchemy. This is where I must leave you, for I could keep this list going for ages upon ages. Words are more fun than you think. Make friends with them, you use them everyday.