Women's Rights And Music: A Great Hypocrisy

"Turn the objectifying and sexist music down, I need to shout something about how women are equal and powerful!"

158

As with any divisive piece of writing, one must always remember two things: First, this is my opinion. Second, I am not the most knowledgeable source on this subject; I am purely writing my own thoughts and logic down. There could be plenty of problems with my stance, and I am more than open to listen and try to understand.

Also it should be noted that there is some strong language in this article. I'm not one to cuss or use such language, and the only reason it is included here is to make a point; I would never use this language in normal conversation.

But one thing that has always bothered me is how down-right awful some music can be in regards to women and who they are/what they represent.

I've always been a proponent of women and what they can accomplish. I believe God created us equally, yet with distinctive traits, characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses.

Gender Roles are not popular nowadays, but they exist, and they always will. Not because that is what we should only be doing as male or female. A women should have the freedom to have a job as a mechanic just like a man should be able to write poetry, etc. But these roles are ingrained in us for good reason. If I asked you which gender was more than likely to help plan and decorate for a wedding shower, who would you pick? That's not being sexist; that's being smart! You don't want any man planning a wedding shower.

That being said, we have this push for women's rights nowadays (which is great), but I feel like we are lacking in our push to respect and treat women right. A lot of people have been against this type of respect because it lowers women or makes them feel like they are the "weaker" sex, etc. But respecting women isn't something we should do because they are helpless.

We should do it because it's the right thing to do.

Our sons need to be taught to open doors, hold hands, talk sweetly and gently, don't cuss around them, etc.

Not because a woman can't open her own door or because women are some angelic creatures who don't ever curse, cause I've hear some women drop 'em better than sailors!

But simply because it's what they deserve.

We can all agree on rights and stuff... until it comes to our music. Then we throw it all out the window.

We fight for women, but are okay with them being called hoes and bitches.

We says women are equals, but talks about their titties and asses like they are personal property or a means to an end.

We say they are smart and powerful, but make songs about their pussies instead.

Does this make sense? Where is the respect? Instead of creating a generation of respect, we are creating one of misogyny.

Of course, this music doesn't give sexual predators, rapists, or down right disrespectful people a pass. What they do is their own decision; the music didn't make them do it.

But maybe the music helped plant an idea.

To me, it's all about what you are surrounded by.

Spend time listening to music that talks about romance and treating women right and calling them beautiful, well then you want to pick her flowers and take her out and treat her right.

Spend time listening to music that talks about screwing like dogs because she's so tight, well then, you get the picture.