Women's Month

Women's Month

Women are the best, you can't deny it
5

International Women's Day just recently passed on March 8th yet I feel like there is still a lot to talk about. However, I have to give it credit; a lot of places on the internet and in society really acknowledged Women's Day this year which is really great. It might be a way to get more people to see the problems that women still face every single day. So in honor of this month all about women, here are a few things that could get better still in the upcoming years.

Kesha's Court Case

If you haven't heard of Kesha's Court case in the past few weeks, then here is a quick recap. Kesha was working under her producer, Dr. Luke since she was 17 years old. In Oct. of 2014, she filled a lawsuit against him saying he had drugged, rapped and abused her for the last 10 years. Dr. Luke filled a counter lawsuit against her saying that she fabricated everything in order to try to get out of her contract with him. The court case that happened on Feb. 19th 2016, unfortunately, ruled against Kesha and for the time being she is still being forced into the contract with Dr. Luke.

The thing that is the most annoying with this is how the court didn't see how much this is impacting Kesha. Forcing someone to stay in a contract with someone they are uncomfortable around is borderline abuse itself. No matter if the allegations are true or not, making Kesha work with Dr. Luke even though she is so uncomfortable is not fair in the slightest.

Kim Kardashian's Instagram Photo

On March 7th, 2016, Kim Kardashian posted another nude selfie with the caption "When you have nothing to wear LOL". The internet completely blew up and started calling Kim a "slut", a "whore" and a "bad influence to young girls". She retaliated with an amazing response to everyone calling her out. In this response, Kim quotes, "I am empowered by my body. I am empowered by my sexuality. I am empowered by feeling comfortable in my skin. I am empowered by showing the world my flaws and not being afraid of what anyone is going to say about me. And I hope that through this platform I have been given, I can encourage the same empowerment for girls and women all over the world".

This is something that is really important for all girls. The Kardashians are women who are extremely proud of their bodies and the lives that they live. No matter what the world wants to say in retaliation, they will always be able to make the best of what is going on. Slut-shaming is something that is still very prevalent in today's society. And if Kim can empower women in a way that helps them become more comfortable with their own bodies, then that is amazing. Women shouldn't be afraid of their bodies and slut-shaming needs to stop.

Daisy Ridley's Body Image

Earlier in the week, an internet user decided that it would be a good idea to body shame Daisy Ridley, better known as Rey from "Star Wars: The Force Awakens". The user complained that real women have curves and that Daisy couldn't have been the best for the role. Daisy took no time at all to respond to the body-shamer. Daisy quotes, "It is much more hurtful to continue to slate other women than be a women, be a character, be whoever you want to be".

This is important especially for young girls. The impact that Rey made in "The Force Awakens" can spark the interest of all young girls watching. Young girls can see Rey being amazing without the help of other people or men and they can know that they can do anything anyone else can do.

Girls helping other girls is an amazing thing that we have in our society. We need more girls helping other girls because this world could be such a good world with girls working with each other. We can do anything the boys can do (and we can totally do it better).