Wear the clothing you want to
Life Stages

7 Reasons why what I wear as a woman Shouldn't, And Doesn't, affect you

OH NO, do I see an exposed shoulder?

468
Photo by Daniel Apodaca on Unsplash
Daniel Apodaca

Recently I came across a few articles about how women should change what they wear to the beach, or change what they wear in general. Telling someone what to wear doesn't only cause anger or frustration, but it causes insecurities and these people start to question a style that makes them unique in a world where "mainstream is apparently the way to go."

1. Your opinion is NOT my opinion

Are my shorts too short? Is my tank top too tight? Should I not be wearing yoga pants? Do my clothes not match? Tough. All of that is your opinion and I'm not going to change for you just because of what you think is right and wrong. Also, why are you wasting thoughts on something that doesn't truly affect you? My style doesn't cost you money, it doesn't affect your day unless you let it, which is a poor waste of time in my opinion.

2. People of all sizes should be able to wear what they want without being criticized

Just because you're considered 'skinny', you're allowed to wear whatever you want without people criticizing you. It's because in this day and age we have set standards that tell you if you need to lose or gain weight. They tell you if you're perfect or below average. It's not just people who are doing this - it's movies, tv shows, radio stations, news sources, and yes, even the president. Sometimes it's conditioning that makes people the way they are, sometimes they're just naturally judgmental.

3. IT'S HOT OUTSIDE

A lot of schools have an issue with this specifically. Girls can't wear spaghetti straps because apparently, their 'skin is distracting to boys' like one article I read says. Click anywhere in this sentence to be sent to the article, and hopefully feel as outraged as I am. The whole saying of "boys will be boys" is such a dangerous saying because it makes certain males feel like they can do what they want and not be punished for it. Other than schools, this also happens at the beach. Girls are criticized for wearing 'cheeky' bottoms, or bikinis if they're not 'skinny enough' to wear them. If it's blazing hot out, or even if it's just a little warm, let anyone and everyone where what they want.

4. Some people aren't comfortable with their figure

While some woman are judged for wearing too little, they're all judged for wearing too much or clothing that's considered too baggy. Maybe someone wears a sweater during a warm day, or they wear sweatpants to school or some other article that is deemed 'strange' to wear during the day because the weather doesn't match. Honestly, how do we win when it's impossible to make everyone happy?

5. Some things aren't affordable

There are some people out there who can't even afford to buy new clothes. Maybe they only have a few pairs of shorts from over the years that they can wear, that they might have grown slightly out of. Or the only thing they really have to work with are hand-me-downs because their parents can't buy that many new things. Sometimes it's impossible to guess why someone does something, and you can't even begin to understand what the reason is.

6. Does a bra strap or skin really offend you that much??

Like in the article of my third reason, bra straps are apparently very offending. I never understood why considering nearly all woman wear bras and it's a common understand you have one underneath your clothing. Sometimes they're shown because it's part of your outfit, sometimes girls just don't care to cover them. Honestly, people, I think it's about time to get over the ominous bra straps. Ooo scaryyyy!

7. If it makes them feel cute, let them feel cute!

In a world like the one we live in, people are medically depressed, stressed, confused, scared, hurt, and many other words I can describe people. If someone is wearing something you don't deem acceptable, just keep those thoughts to yourself. I don't think it's that hard to hold your tongue when a stranger walks by. Maybe their outfit made them feel good today when they haven't in a while. You never really know what's going on in their life. Most people don't need to feel worse, but maybe that's just my opinion.

I know that in my list above, I focus mostly on women but I'm well aware people of all genders go through this even if they don't necessarily go by male or female. Growing up, most people are conditioned to think that one way is better than the other, but it's simply not true and you can easily break out of the habit of thinking that way. Next time you see something you don't like, keep your mouth shut and you'll come to realize it's not worth it to care if someone looks different than you.