Women Who've Gotten Plastic Surgery Don't Lose Their Worth As Human Beings

Newsflash: the female body does not exist for anyone's consumption.

107

The rise of beauty influencers these past few years has caused the popularity of plastic surgery to increase, but it has also caused some people to be even more vocal about how they look down upon women who have undergone plastic surgery.

Typically, those who insult the women that have gone under the knife by calling them "fake" defend their comments by saying that they are trying to encourage women to embrace their natural beauty instead of opting for plastic surgery. These opinions are irrelevant and unwanted, but they are still given because our society feels the need to scrutinize a woman's appearance at every waking moment.

One of the reasons that some women have for getting plastic surgery is because they have been told that their natural features are unattractive, so they choose to be operated on in order to make themselves fit society's perception of beauty. Ultimately, there is nothing women can do to please everyone because the people that taunt them for not having a perfect face or perfect body are the same ones that turn around and call them "plastic" for having any form of cosmetic procedure done on themselves.

The changes that women, or anyone else for that matter, decide to make on their bodies should be respected and supported. A person does not lose their worth because they got lip injections or a rhinoplasty. We should all be able to have control over our own bodies and make decisions that give us confidence.

If plastic surgery is not for you, then that is great. If plastic surgery is something you want, then that is great too. Nobody should put themselves on a pedestal for not having gone under the knife because lacking silicone does not mean you are now suddenly deserving of an applause.

The stigma surrounding women getting plastic surgery exists because society, especially men, continue to demand that women look like goddesses while also keeping that "natural look." Men want you to look like their favorite Instagram model, but they want you to accomplish it without involving plastic surgery because once you go under the knife, you are fake and no longer deserving of their love. Well, here is a reality check: the female body does not exist for anyone's consumption.

While I believe that the decision to get plastic surgery is a personal matter that others have no right to weigh in on, I also believe that celebrities that have undergone plastic surgery have a responsibility to tell their audience that they have had work done. Thanks to apps like Instagram and Snapchat, young people are able to access a constant stream of photographs and videos of their favorite celebrities, which can cause them to develop unrealistic standards of beauty.

Back when Kylie Jenner first debuted her new pair of lips after being given temporary filler, she denied that they were not her natural lips. She would continue to take selfies and post them on her social media while lying to the public about whether she had been given lip fillers, and this led to thousands upon thousands of teenagers and young adults feeling self-conscious because they had not been born with lips as plump as Jenner's.

Eventually, she revealed that she did, in fact, have fillers in her lips, but the damage had already been done. Jenner's fans were desperate to make their lips as full as possible and some even went as far as sucking on shot glasses to make them swell during the Kylie Jenner lip challenge craze.

Of course, I am not saying that celebrities should not get plastic surgery. They are free to do as they please with their bodies just like the rest of us are, but when you are able to reach such a large and impressionable audience, it is your duty to be upfront about the cosmetic procedures you have had done. It is dangerous when people like Jenner pretend that the features they were able to obtain through surgery were the ones they were born with because young girls will beat themselves up for not looking like her and young boys will expect that every woman is supposed to look as flawless as her.

I know that Jenner came clean about getting lip filler a few years ago, but the reaction that her audience had to the initial lie should serve as a lesson to all other celebrities. They should be honest about how they obtained their beauty so that their audience can make an informed decision about whether plastic surgery is for them, rather than having them feel pressured to get surgery because they were not born perfect.