Why Women Should Play Rugby

Why Women Should Play Rugby

It's a woman's sport, too.
155

Women were considered to be very soft and emotional creatures that did well nurturing and taking care of the home. For some women, that was enough. For others, not so much. As the advancement of women continued they became more than just mothers and housewives, but business women, shop owners, architects, etc. They are hard workers in society, building up the middle class. They joined athletics and fought for the right to play in sports that were typically thought of as a “man's” sport. Sports like rugby, which is a sport for everyone.

Rugby is a team sport which can be played in different ways. You can play on a team of 15, 10, or 7 if that is what you have. Rugby is often times unheard of. Other times, it is seen as a sport in which everyone gets broken or injured in some way. Rugby is a full contact sport with no padding and it is believed that if you do get hurt you were not putting your all into the game.

Because women are seen as small and fragile (which is a mindset both men and women have about what a female should be) it affects the number of women that play. Women are strong and deserve a place where they are allowed to be as strong and as active as they want to be. Some women say they are not athletic and that they have never played. Granted, a lot of people have not, but it is that first practice that gets you hooked or at least interested enough to come a second and third time.

Women should play rugby to change the way we look at women in society. To change the stereotypes that surround us in the public. This sport allows women to feel free from the standards that surround them in the world. It takes away the fear of what others think of you and gives you a family of other women who have your back when you need them.

Another concrete reason why women should play is you never know the doors that it could open for you. Rugby has programs for high school players who can get scholarships to play in college and for collegiate players to go to club teams or try out for Olympic teams if they want to and play on an international level. Being a part of the rugby tradition can take you places and it's only there if you seek it out to take it like anything else.

Finally, rugby is a sport that can grown any individual. Rugby grows your personality, your outlook on life, the circles you hang around, and so much more. Rugby trains you to play with your heart because, if you do not love it, you won't stay with it. Rugby grows with you, it doesn’t just sit you on a path. Rugby was one of the greatest decisions a lot of people made for their lives. Will it be one of yours?

Rugby is a sport that will change your life if you let it and, like anything else, you get out what you put in. So what are you willing to put in?