Why Are You Saying That Women Can't Be Marine Officers?

For all you girls out there trying to become an officer in the United States military.

287
Marine Corps Times

"I don't want you to become a Marine Officer."

"You'd be better off going enlisted."

"Women aren't fit to lead the Marine Corps."

"Women should not be in the United States military."

"You can't be a Marine Officer."

"Why are you throwing your music career away? You know you cannot do music if you're an officer."

Are you serious? Or are you just that guy who is scared of those girls who are not afraid to be confident, see themselves as beautiful, respect themselves, and lead the pack? Because let's be honest, I don't have time for that kind of nonsense.

But isn't it sad that sometimes your family and closest friends doubt your potential? That the people whom you care and love the most do not give you the support you need and instead discourage you. Last fall, I decided to take the leap of faith to try to become a Marine officer.

Most people who walk into our recruiting office never return after their first workout sessions. All of my fellow candidates have told me their stories about their very first workout with the recruiters. All of them could agree that it was tough. They were all out of shape. But somehow, even though I was dying halfway through my first workout, I knew that I wanted to come back.

Yes, I know that as a girl, we have to go through more hurdles and work harder than our male counterparts to achieve our goals. Yes, it's sexist. Yes, it's not fair that girls have always been looked down upon in history.

The truth is, there are very few ladies out there that actually achieve the goal of Marine officer. But that does not mean that it is impossible at all. My recruiter told all of us that if he thought that we couldn't do it, then he would have already told us long time ago.

I will tell you that there is a girl at our recruiting office who really has proven that it is possible for a female to attain the rank of Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps. She just went through Officer Candidate School this past summer. She survived six weeks of being yelled at by drill sergeants. She can do 5-7 pull ups and run 3 miles in 20 minutes. She is currently a junior at my school and holds a job as a Resident Assistant. Furthermore, she was part of the Show Girls during her freshmen and sophomore years at my school. She inspires me and so many other girls out there that we can do more and be more.

I know I shouldn't let them get to me. Then again it hurts me that someone who never served in the military is telling me what I should or shouldn't do. That someone would tell me that he "knows" how the military is run just because his father served in the military. That same someone was TWO spots away from getting drafted to fight in the Vietnam War but decided not to serve because becoming a teacher was a better decision (but now he regrets never serving his nation when his nation needed him the most?). It makes my blood boil that person told me to my face that I am not fit to lead or take care of an entire platoon. I get it that leadership is difficult. It takes experience. It takes failing again and again and again. It takes making a fool out of yourself. But I believe that it is possible even for someone like me. It angers me to the core that this person told me that women cannot do the same things that men can do, that women are not as tough as men, and that women cannot be a part of the infantry. Yes, I get that we women struggle with upper body. We are not built the same as men. I know that I personally struggle with pull ups and push ups. But I have seen some of my female friends and other women own it during cross fit competitions or during PFTs. Yes, women typically are more emotional than men. But we can be tougher even though we cry and scream more easily. And I do believe that women can play just as valuable of a part in the infantry as men.

I know that there will always be a first time for everything and that the beginning will always be the hardest. I might fail and not make the cut. But if I do not try, I will never know how good I can be. If I do not try, I do not learn valuable lessons as well.

But I will remember that Moses thought that he was not fit to lead the Hebrews out of Egypt, but he was able to do so. I will remember how David had to face Goliath with just a sling and a stone but was able to knock Goliath off of his feet.

For all you girls out there trying to become an officer in the United States military, do not get discouraged. I hope that your family and friends support your dream of being leaders of the greatest military in the world. And if not, I promise that I always will. There will be those haters and doubters out there. There will be those small minded people who will tell you that you can't. But there will be you proving them wrong.